Question for those that have their truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FFCars

Reaction score
I'm wondering if the Raptor would be OK for long distance trips. I'm replacing a '15 Yukon Denali as our family vehicle. We go take trips of 200-600 miles and the Raptor would be our travel truck.

I'm worried about the BFG tires and the suspension settings for highway use. I have a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with the same tire size and brand as the stock Raptor and there is no way I could drive more than about 150 miles comfortably. The BFGs on my Jeep are noisy and with 20k miles on them they are really getting loud.

I know the Raptor has a special BFG, but it looks exactly like what I have in my Jeep. (Same tread pattern and sizes; 315/70-17.)

Thoughts?

Thanks

D

Deleted member 12951

They have the BFG KO2's C-rated. What do you have on your jeep exactly?

adeerchaser

ALWAYS carry, never tell
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have a Gen 1 on stock tires. Long trips, over 350 miles, we take it. Rides and drives, best I ever owned!! Short trips to the farm, sometimes, take her Jeep just to save the miles on the Raptor.

BajaFred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's going to ride rougher than say a regular F150 with softer tires and suspension setup

Practically speaking, you'd be better off getting a non FX4 regular F150 vs a Raptor if long highway stretches are the main use

loke

Reaction score
I've driven my gen1 across country 6 times. 4 on the stock tires and twice on BFG Mud terrain KM2s. Love it as a road trip truck. 60k miles, almost all long road trips. Can't imagine the gen2 would be too different in that regard.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's going to ride rougher than say a regular F150 with softer tires and suspension setup

Practically speaking, you'd be better off getting a non FX4 regular F150 vs a Raptor if long highway stretches are the main use

I would disagree. I've owned a bunch of regular-ish F150. The most recent, before the Raptor, was a Platinum with all the bells and whistles. The Raptor was hands down more comfortable to drive. The suspension, on the highway, is actually smoother due to it's suspension. Progressive valving of the shocks as well as the rear leaf springs make it a great ride. Team that up with the better seats in the Raptor and it's perfect for long drives. I've got 94k+ miles on my 2014 and I'm gonna keep it running as long as possible due to these facts.

The new Gen2's apparently have a lot more features that people are looking for these days like auto wipers and bright lights, lane assist, adaptive cruise, etc. Not a fan of those options, but they are there for those that are used to them. I love driving my Rap over the wife's $80+ Infinity!!!

Overall, the Raptor is a great choice for long rode trips. The biggest benefit is if you find a gravel rode that you always wanted to go down, you blast down that and beat the crap out of truck, hop back onto the highway and drive on to your destination. You're not gonna sacrifice any ride quality with this truck, guaranteed.

BajaFred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would disagree. I've owned a bunch of regular-ish F150. The most recent, before the Raptor, was a Platinum with all the bells and whistles. The Raptor was hands down more comfortable to drive. The suspension, on the highway, is actually smoother due to it's suspension. Progressive valving of the shocks as well as the rear leaf springs make it a great ride. Team that up with the better seats in the Raptor and it's perfect for long drives. I've got 94k+ miles on my 2014 and I'm gonna keep it running as long as possible due to these facts.

The new Gen2's apparently have a lot more features that people are looking for these days like auto wipers and bright lights, lane assist, adaptive cruise, etc. Not a fan of those options, but they are there for those that are used to them. I love driving my Rap over the wife's $80+ Infinity!!!

Overall, the Raptor is a great choice for long rode trips. The biggest benefit is if you find a gravel rode that you always wanted to go down, you blast down that and beat the crap out of truck, hop back onto the highway and drive on to your destination. You're not gonna sacrifice any ride quality with this truck, guaranteed.

What year was your Platinum?

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In Illinois any off road trip is 14+ hours. I traded my '12 in with 75k miles.
Best vehicle owned for long distance travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk