Question on 4A vs. 2H

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1Wolf

Reaction score
Silly question I'm sure. I don't yet have my Raptor, and have downloaded and read through the F-150 manual and Raptor Supplement where it explained all of the 4WD settings. These are a bit new to me so I was just wondering why anyone would use 2H instead of 4A? It seems to me that 4A is most like what I'd be familiar with as AWD in other vehicles. What are some reasons someone would want to use 2H instead of 4A?

To be clear, I'm not saying that I think 2H is a waste or anything like that. I'm just trying to understand when I should use which setting, and the manual doesn't give much in the way of examples. I more familiar with 4H and 4L, I've had other trucks with those settings.

Thanks!

AKSteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been leaving mine in 4A all the time because of the varying road conditions during spring break-up. Once summer is here, I'll switch it to 2H and leave it there. Better gas mileage and less drivetrain power loss. Although I've heard the best acceleration mode is 4A + Sport mode.

Last edited:

photoneffect

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought the same thing, but driving dynamics are a little more fun in 2H. I only use 4A when it's rainy now.

And I'm not too sure about the 4A being faster acceleration. I only have my butt dyno to go on, but 2H seems better. if you torque launch the crap out of it maybe it would be better in 4A, but I've yet to do that.

The Mav

FRF Addict
Reaction score
4A is basically AWD.

When you're in 4A mode the front driveline is engaged the same as it is in 4hi or 4lo.

The difference being in the transfer case. When you are in 4A mode there is a clutch inside the transfer case that detects slippage in the rear wheels and will engage power to the front. most times most of the power will only be sent to the rear, and then be sent to the front as needed.

when you pop it into 4hi or 4lo, the transfer case is fully locked.

foo.c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4A is more wear and tear on the 4WD drivetrain and worse mpg, but if you need it then you need it.

Also I found the Torsen front to resist turning when 4A engages.

SoCalHusker

Reaction score
If your driving in muddy, wet, or dirt the 4a works fine. As mentioned above fuel consumption and wearing of equipment.
What you don't want to do is switch to 4A on perfectly paved surface and hammer it.
You will hear noises you don't like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Mav

FRF Addict
Reaction score
the wear on equipment isn't an issue at all. fuel economy difference will be minimal unless you're always slipping and engaging the front end.

AKSteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My experience with using 4A is that it doesn't just send power to the front wheels when the rear slips. It seems to always send power to the front during moderate or hard acceleration. Acceleration is effortless and it doesn't feel at all similar to driving a truck in 4H. It feels like a sports sedan with AWD.