Programming a third key

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rickoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I lost a key on my Gen1 and found out it's a LOT more expensive to replace a key if you have ONE working key instead of two.

With the Gen2, I figured I would get a third spare so if I lost one, I wouldn't be stuck paying big money for a second.

Bought one on Ebay for $80. Brand new oem. Now I'm tasked with programming it.

Found this info: https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/vehi...w-to-program-your-intelligent-access-key.html

Doesn't seem to work though. Nothing happens when I go through the procedure. Anyone have any ideas on how to get this programmed without paying someone else to do it?

OP
OP
Rickoo

Rickoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, figured it out. Don't do what is in the manual. (Actually, if you have the intelligent access keys) you CAN'T do what's in the manual. It makes no sense at all and appears a nine year old wrote these instructions who had no idea how this ignition works.

After a few hours following both Ford's on-line instructions and what is in the manual with no luck, I found a post on the F150forum and cut/pasted this procedure. It worked perfectly and took less than a minute.

By the way, the programming slot (backup position) is below the rubber pad in the base of the forward cup holder in the center console. (Which is also incorrect in the manual.) Ford's online instructions, leaves this crucial step out altogether.

In case anyone looks for the procedure in the future...

2. Place the first programmed key in the backup position
3. With left hand, Press Start\Stop button
4. Counted to three maybe four seconds (one one thousand, two one thousand, three one thousand)
5. With left hand, pressed Start\Stop button
6. With right hand, swapped first programmed key with second programmed key (quickly)
7. With left hand, pressed Press Start\Stop button
8. Counted the three maybe four seconds (one one thousand, two one thousand, three one thousand)
9. With right hand, swapped second programmed key with the un-programmed key (quickly)
10. With left hand, pressed Start\Stop button
11. Door locks cycled and dashboard light up and dashboard counsel stated “Key Programming Successful”

Micha

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone by chance have a part number for the flip key used in the 801a package? I want to order a key/transmitter before my truck gets here so I can get the key cut right at the dealer. Thanks.

Flysmurf

Reaction score
Okay, figured it out. Don't do what is in the manual. (Actually, if you have the intelligent access keys) you CAN'T do what's in the manual. It makes no sense at all and appears a nine year old wrote these instructions who had no idea how this ignition works.

After a few hours following both Ford's on-line instructions and what is in the manual with no luck, I found a post on the F150forum and cut/pasted this procedure. It worked perfectly and took less than a minute.

By the way, the programming slot (backup position) is below the rubber pad in the base of the forward cup holder in the center console. (Which is also incorrect in the manual.) Ford's online instructions, leaves this crucial step out altogether.

In case anyone looks for the procedure in the future...

2. Place the first programmed key in the backup position
3. With left hand, Press Start\Stop button
4. Counted to three maybe four seconds (one one thousand, two one thousand, three one thousand)
5. With left hand, pressed Start\Stop button
6. With right hand, swapped first programmed key with second programmed key (quickly)
7. With left hand, pressed Press Start\Stop button
8. Counted the three maybe four seconds (one one thousand, two one thousand, three one thousand)
9. With right hand, swapped second programmed key with the un-programmed key (quickly)
10. With left hand, pressed Start\Stop button
11. Door locks cycled and dashboard light up and dashboard counsel stated “Key Programming Successful”
Worked perfectly. Thank you for the info...

flagman

Reaction score
Iam a little late here, but I want a third key. Do you have to have the third key cut? Thanks, flagman

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Rickoo,
I bought a spare blank and had it cut by local locksmith. He programmed it exactly as you posted took all of 30 seconds and no charge! (I bought the blank from the locksmith)...

Eddie

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rickoo. Thanks a million. I just did this...took less than a minute. I appreciate your research and posting.

I bought the Raptor fob and valet key for my 2018 for $200 plus tax from my dealer.

Last edited:

Gen2UAE

Reaction score
Worked great, got a key for 80 USD for my Gen 2 2017 from eBay (New) the 2017 key is so ******, the 2018 is a solid feel and way cooler

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xlr8r