Power steering went out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ecoop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bad day for the raptor...1st started about 45 minutes ago it missed 1st to 2nd gear idling out of parking space and then caught 2nd and away we
went. Then 5 minutes later had to go around slower mall shopper and went over curb and lane Assit alarm went off and power steering went out. Had to drive around 3 turn round about with 37”s and no power! Parked and tried the steering electronic setting button and it would not change...locked up. Shut the truck of and started 3 times and nothing no power steering...was just about to pull battery cable and reset and 4 time restart power steering restored! Wow!! Anyone have anything like this happen? Btw it happened in front of yardhouse so said f’ it and having beers now.

MatMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seriously, you mounted a curb to avoid a shopper? Gawd dam!

Have you checked the PS system for leaks or low fluid?

OP
OP
Ecoop

Ecoop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can’t stand the mall drivers today, it was built up aggression. Curbs...not much compared to the orange trees I got some custom pinstriping from. Walked straight into the bar didn’t ck fluids, but 100% electrical. For the 20k I put into this thing...it worries me. O build date 4/17 ish I think.

Vekki

Reaction score
odds of the curb ride freaking out a sensor or something that made it short out?

OP
OP
Ecoop

Ecoop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess but not that big of a hit compared to other things. Scary/worrisome

OP
OP
Ecoop

Ecoop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update

Well the crappy steering took a dump again. In the middle of Pismo dunes climbing dune and power steering goes out! Tried all the tricks and still throwing steering align error. This is scary wtf is this design, it’s gonna kill someone. So glad it broke here and not in Mexico!

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a buddy who had the same problem. Something electrically fried the electronic power steering assist module. The dealership repaired it under warranty and claimed his lightbar somehow fried the module because of the way it was wired.

Do you have a tune? Did you flash a tune before the first incident?

The first time I flashed a tune the truck was on an incline and the wheels were pointed left. I got the electronic steering assist failure error and had no power steering. I reflashed on a level surface with wheels pointed straight and the error went away. FWIW.

D

Deleted member 12951

Be careful, some dealers will void parts that deal with suspension and steering when running with 37’s, its even stated in the owners manual that larger tires can void it.

OP
OP
Ecoop

Ecoop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a buddy who had the same problem. Something electrically fried the electronic power steering assist module. The dealership repaired it under warranty and claimed his lightbar somehow fried the module because of the way it was wired.

Do you have a tune? Did you flash a tune before the first incident?

The first time I flashed a tune the truck was on an incline and the wheels were pointed left. I got the electronic steering assist failure error and had no power steering. I reflashed on a level surface with wheels pointed straight and the error went away. FWIW.

Did it in oct in parking lot reset ingnition 20 times and good to go and no code. Then last month in baker went out on a hill climb and no code keyed ignition 30+ times and good to go. Yesterday in the dunes went out and now have all kinds of codes and sensor not aligned errors. Will not work now reset reflash tried everything unplugged epas and ground cleared dtc and still nothing. Having some beers and going drive manual (sucks) to ramp and aaa tow.

Thinking about putting stock tie rods back on, they will probably say my uca are set for too much caster...I can’t wait for this drama.