Powder Coating Stock Rims Advice Needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mr_beaverhousen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the stock rims and am thinking about powder coating them rather than switching rims. Has anyone done it and have pics to share?

I have ruby red so my go-to color is matte black but open to reasonable suggestions. I like the bronze Method rims but don't think it'll work on the truck and look WRX'ish.

Rapterzz

Reaction score
Matte or gloss

I have the stock rims and am thinking about powder coating them rather than switching rims. Has anyone done it and have pics to share?

I have ruby red so my go-to color is matte black but open to reasonable suggestions. I like the bronze Method rims but don't think it'll work on the truck and look WRX'ish.

I am debating if I should coat mine in gloss or matte. I would love to see some pics of both. What are you getting quoted per wheel?

Big Ratt

Reaction score
I'm sure the color names will be different everywhere. Place I went to is called Cal Chrome. Color is Competition Graphite. Cost was $800. Found it cheaper elsewhere but they were the only company to offer loaner wheels for a week.

Piranharaptor

Reaction score
in know some hate this but I plasti dipped mine (popped out the center coved lugs and did it with tires on). I really like it. I keep them clean with armor all extreme. very easy to touch up and it looks great to me.

Attachments

• rap3.jpg
    rap3.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_9677.jpg
    IMG_9677.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 281

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in know some hate this but I plasti dipped mine (popped out the center coved lugs and did it with tires on). I really like it. I keep them clean with armor all extreme. very easy to touch up and it looks great to me.

Actually looks pretty good. Saved a bunch of money too. I rattlecanned my Tacoma wheels black years ago and they held up pretty well.

OP
OP
M

mr_beaverhousen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a metallic gray thats a perfect match to the fenders.

I was thinking about possibly matching with the fenders and this looks great! I think now it's a matter of gloss black or matching it like you. Just don't think matte black will look as nice on RR. I actually found a place that does it a few blocks from my work so will stop in on Monday for a price quote.

But it took a whole week to do the rims??

Big Ratt

Reaction score
I was thinking about possibly matching with the fenders and this looks great! I think now it's a matter of gloss black or matching it like you. Just don't think matte black will look as nice on RR. I actually found a place that does it a few blocks from my work so will stop in on Monday for a price quote.

But it took a whole week to do the rims??
Dropped off on Monday and picked up Friday. It's a busy shop. I do know the gray took 2 days. It was a two ply process. 1 day was a gray and bake. Next day was metallic and bake.