GEN 2 Possible Transmission Issue, something else, nothing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1DXmk2

Reaction score
I picked-up a Gen2 raptor (Black Screw, 802a, Tech and a few other things) two weeks ago and after driving a couple of days, I (and my wife) started feeling the truck not delivering smooth acceleration. Though its a bit hard to put into an accurate description, when accelerating within a gear (not between shifts, which are generally pretty smooth), the power output seems to fall back momentarily and then pull again, over and over until it shifts gears and then it does it again in the new gear. Once in 10th gear, if I accelerate, the power continues surging (pulls for a second, pause, pulls for a second, pause, etc. until i back out). In sport mode with moderate to strong acceleration, its very noticeable as the individual gears stay engaged longer than in normal mode.

I've been driving it hoping its just a computer learning issue...the transmission just figuring out when to shift and that it would smooth out. However, last Friday - in normal mode, sixth gear, moderate acceleration - the transmission slipped, leaving the engine revving and no power to the wheels. It fell back into gear after the rpms fell back. The next day, I tried to recreate the slip...didn't happen. But after I changed to sport mode, and with strong acceleration, the transmission got stuck in sixth and wouldn't shift up or down until i manually shifted.

Took it back to the dealer yesterday...they ran diagnostics, but didn't find any codes related to any of the issues. They drove it, but apparently they didn't push it very hard, and said they couldn't recreate the slip/stuck gear and all seemed fine. They admit they don't have any experience with the 10 speed and really aren't sure how it should be behaving. I drove it this morning with a service manager and he finally picked-up on what I was talking about with the power delivery issue...still they say they're not sure what it is supposed to be doing. They have another raptor on the lot and will drive it to compare.

So, long story short...has anyone else noticed inconsistent power delivery on acceleration like I (so poorly) described? Anyone else experienced a slipped or stuck gear (other than the few that have reported complete trans failures)? Should a slipped or stuck gear automatically create a code?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

MatMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Slip Issue aside, I personally would throw a pedal commander at it and see what that does.

"Justifiable upgrade for testing purposes"

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Take it back to the dealer and have the tech take a ride with you. It sounds like something some others have reported - Jeff-Ohio ? it’s a shuffling like feeling or a surging?

See if it does it in sport mode. If it does, and you’re burning 87 octane, Jeff reported good luck with going to higher octane fuel. If you’re running super unleaded, you may have a defective knock sensor, which will pull timing like crazy if it thinks it detects detonation.

Muredhawk

Reaction score
I picked-up a Gen2 raptor (Black Screw, 802a, Tech and a few other things) two weeks ago and after driving a couple of days, I (and my wife) started feeling the truck not delivering smooth acceleration. Though its a bit hard to put into an accurate description, when accelerating within a gear (not between shifts, which are generally pretty smooth), the power output seems to fall back momentarily and then pull again, over and over until it shifts gears and then it does it again in the new gear. Once in 10th gear, if I accelerate, the power continues surging (pulls for a second, pause, pulls for a second, pause, etc. until i back out). In sport mode with moderate to strong acceleration, its very noticeable as the individual gears stay engaged longer than in normal mode.

I've been driving it hoping its just a computer learning issue...the transmission just figuring out when to shift and that it would smooth out. However, last Friday - in normal mode, sixth gear, moderate acceleration - the transmission slipped, leaving the engine revving and no power to the wheels. It fell back into gear after the rpms fell back. The next day, I tried to recreate the slip...didn't happen. But after I changed to sport mode, and with strong acceleration, the transmission got stuck in sixth and wouldn't shift up or down until i manually shifted.

Took it back to the dealer yesterday...they ran diagnostics, but didn't find any codes related to any of the issues. They drove it, but apparently they didn't push it very hard, and said they couldn't recreate the slip/stuck gear and all seemed fine. They admit they don't have any experience with the 10 speed and really aren't sure how it should be behaving. I drove it this morning with a service manager and he finally picked-up on what I was talking about with the power delivery issue...still they say they're not sure what it is supposed to be doing. They have another raptor on the lot and will drive it to compare.

So, long story short...has anyone else noticed inconsistent power delivery on acceleration like I (so poorly) described? Anyone else experienced a slipped or stuck gear (other than the few that have reported complete trans failures)? Should a slipped or stuck gear automatically create a code?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Are you sure that the rear tires aren't slipping? Try some pulls in 4A and see if it pulls smoothly.

Also in sport mode it does do some ridiculous gear holding which is annoying but seemingly normal...

I finally got some 93 octane in my truck and it seems much happier now.

Supertuner700

Reaction score
Are you sure that the rear tires aren't slipping? Try some pulls in 4A and see if it pulls smoothly.

Also in sport mode it does do some ridiculous gear holding which is annoying but seemingly normal...

I finally got some 93 octane in my truck and it seems much happier now.

agreed
Mine did a little surging on the first couple days but I was taking it easy on my first tank of fuel, I ran it real low and filled up with 93 and all surging is gone

SgrLndTX

Reaction score
Btw - this is the OP....I have an old registration/login on my iPad and a different newer one on my office machine because I couldn't remember the effing password of this one...yeah, a bit of dumbassery...

Great advice all - very much appreciate it! The service guy drove the owner's Raptor and reported the same behavior. Given that I'm still running on the tank of dealer gas (420 miles on the truck and still 120 miles to empty on the gauge) - and the nickel and dime nature of that dealership - I suspect that both that truck and mine are running the cheapest crap they could buy. Hopefully once I put some premium fuel in it, the surging will end.

I'm sure it's not tire slip as most of the issues have been on concrete or asphalt under less than hard acceleration. I have had it in 4a on a couple of loose gravel roads and traction felt good...but, man, those tires throw up a rooster tail of gravel and stones. Glad no one was behind me!

All that said, I suspect I may also have a balance issue as there does seem to be a vibration underneath the surging problem. I think I'll give discount tires road force balance a shot.

Again, thanks for the insights!

Last edited:

dez450

Reaction score
Trans Problem

I picked up my 17 Jan 12th. I now have just over 5k on it. I was camping 2 weekends ago and I was heading down a sanding river bottom 1 and half foot of water and got stuck. I have only been stuck a hand full of times in my life. Turns out my trans went completely out and went into safe mode (total neutral and left me stranded). Dealer has it now replacing the front pump and harness. I was supposed to go to the Baja San Filipe 250 this last weekend. I am now fearful to take it were it all started fort he Raptor.