Possible shifting issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roscopeeco78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else having inconsistent shifting. Sometimes when looking at the gears in the gauge cluster it seems to skip certain gears all together and hits those gears at other times. For instance, when I give it more throttle than normal I sometimes skip gears 2 and 4.

The truck also seems to stay in a gear too long (when I really give it throttle) reaching 4-5k rpms and seems like I have to let off the gas to get out of the gear. I don't claim to be a mechanic and wanted to know if anyone else is experiencing the same thing.

I remember reading where someone was saying that you need to drive it 2k miles before the transmission settles in. I don't know if this is true or not.

waddellw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else having inconsistent shifting. Sometimes when looking at the gears in the gauge cluster it seems to skip certain gears all together and hits those gears at other times. For instance, when I give it more throttle than normal I sometimes skip gears 2 and 4.

The truck also seems to stay in a gear too long (when I really give it throttle) reaching 4-5k rpms and seems like I have to let off the gas to get out of the gear. I don't claim to be a mechanic and wanted to know if anyone else is experiencing the same thing.

I remember reading where someone was saying that you need to drive it 2k miles before the transmission settles in. I don't know if this is true or not.
1k miles is the usual break in period on a new transmission. That means don't hammer the throttle too hard and change up the speeds throughout this period (example- don't do 1k at 70 only)

The system computer on the other hand learns your specific driving habits in about 100 miles or so I do believe and should drive according to how you would like it to. Though it might be longer on the newer ones.

And from what I've heard I can back up that the new 10 speed is designed to skip gears sometimes!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Turgenius

Reaction score
Mine seemed to smooth out between 400-600 miles. I believe the skipping is normal but I got that from the guys here before I really paid attention.

Shockm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine skips gears in Normal mode and holds the gears for quite a while in Sport mode. That's how they are designed. I leave it in Sport mode and hammer it! I like how Sport mode shuts off the Start/Stop function.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I’m only just breaking 200+ miles on the truck and about 70 of those are coming back from the dealer. I’ve observed that in normal, the trans will shift and skip some gears under light to normal throttle. If you tip in a little harder, it won’t skip as aggressively. If you cane it, you’ll get access to all the gears, and if you do WFO throttle. In sport mode, there is no skip strategy and it’s trying to hold a minimum RPM, so your throttle response is very good, no matter how little throttle you give it. Not so in normal mode. If you just barely tip in the throttle, the truck will try to pour on boost instead of downshifting, I’ve seen close to half on the boost gauge before a downshift, but last night going up a slight hill I noticed holding steady throttle, at about 45-48 or so, I saw about 1/4 on the boost gauge and trans dropped from 10-9.

I can learn to drive around the normal mode preference for economy mostly and 90% of the time the auto start / stop isn’t a big deal for me. Where it bugs me is the shutdown and the light turns immediately or stop and go traffic. So if I turn off auto start stop, the truck won’t reenable it until I cycle the ignition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter