Possible newbie here-need advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

paulny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all. Currently, I have a Toyota Tundra but am really close to pulling the trigger on an '18 Raptor. I have never owned a Raptor and the last Ford I owned was back in 2001. Therefore, are there any glaring issues that I need to know about regarding the Raptor? Also, I am only interested in the crew cab and am curious if there are any problems with the panoramic sunroof? I am not sure I want a sunroof, and as big as the roof is, I envision leaking at some point. I plan to keep the vehicle a long time, so would you recommend I stay clear of the sun roof? Any advice or insight is greatly appreciated.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Hello all. Currently, I have a Toyota Tundra but am really close to pulling the trigger on an '18 Raptor. I have never owned a Raptor and the last Ford I owned was back in 2001. Therefore, are there any glaring issues that I need to know about regarding the Raptor? Also, I am only interested in the crew cab and am curious if there are any problems with the panoramic sunroof? I am not sure I want a sunroof, and as big as the roof is, I envision leaking at some point. I plan to keep the vehicle a long time, so would you recommend I stay clear of the sun roof? Any advice or insight is greatly appreciated.

I have the ’17 with moonroof and no problems to report. if you’re that concerned about the moonroof but still want it, get the extended warranty. I wasn’t searching for a truck with the moonroof, but I’m fine with it.

I can see where if you were really beating on the truck off road every week, you might have some issues more frequently, but I think there are a lot of the gen 2 trucks with moon roofs out there. If there were an epidemic of problems, the forum would be littered with complaints.

I say do it, and trichinosis be damned!
(from the old far side cartoon)

Skyfrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently had this discussion with some co-workers over lunch. I enjoy my moonroof on occasion in my Gen 1, but he was vehemently against it.
My thinking was that the designs have improved, preventing leaking. But his point, which I did not expect, was that the moonroof generates a lot of heat in a parked truck in our Florida sun.
Good point! I checked out mine as was surprised how much heat it did put out. I have a reflective windshield screen which helps, but now I also need to get a heat reflecting film for moonroof. If you live in one of them-thar Narthern States, it might actually be benefit on cold days.
I just did an Internet search, and found a poll where ~5% of the Gen 2 owners experienced leaks and 2% other problems with their moonroofs, so @smurfslayer's suggestion on an extended warranty is a good one.

Go for it!

DrippinRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I specifically ordered my 18 without it. In the five years I owned my 2012 Raptor I opened it once, to make sure it worked.

Rather spend the $$ on tires or a bumper.

BajaFred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love the moon roof but took 3 F150s to find one that didn't leak under normal water and flipped a Raptor back to the dealer at delivery when it leaked

So for me, it's a pass

Msb.19d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 18’ with the sunroof and to be honest I wish I had saved a lot money and purchased without. I never open it, only for my daughter then to close it right back. It’s not a must need thing on the truck by far

Ltl6pack

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Get it! I have a 17 and over 2000 miles off road of the 8700 plus miles on truck with no issues. Have done a few small jumps, and and beat it hard on a lot of dirt roads! We spend two weekends a month riding somewhere on back roads and having a blast. I pressure wash my truck and have not had a leak. If your worried, buy the extended warranty. Good luck!