Poor brakes compared to standard F-150

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rack201

Reaction score
Hi All - new 2018 Raptor owner here.

I've only done 1000 miles, and initially felt the brakes were pretty poor. A very soft pedal and sudden braking performance is a bit of a concern.

Then I had a loaner standard F150 while the bed liner and tint was being done. What a difference - firm braking feel, solid pedal - strong stopping power.

I've seen references on the forum to spongy brakes, but am really surprised that the standard truck feels so much more confident under brakes. Is this a known issue or something I should bring up with the dealer?

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Raptor brakes are the same as a regular F150. The Raptor is heavier and has 34.4" tires so that will increase the stopping distance vs. an F150 with stock 31.9" tires.
I had 34.5" tires on my 2011 and 2014 FX4's and the braking felt about the same as my Raptor.

OP
OP
R

rack201

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Definitely a mushy pedal in mine compared to the firm pedal of the regular F150 then, so I'll stop into the dealer.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Definitely a mushy pedal in mine compared to the firm pedal of the regular F150 then, so I'll stop into the dealer.

I don't think you read his post carefully enough. He said the brakes in the FX4 felt about the same as the Raptor AFTER equipping it with similar sized tires as the Raptor.

Dealer won't do anything as there's nothing wrong with the brakes. They aren't great, but the work as good as Ford designed them.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dealer won't do anything as there's nothing wrong with the brakes. They aren't great, but the work as good as Ford designed them.

I agree, the Ford dealer will tell you they are working as designed. I moved from 35s to 37s on my truck and the braking went down even further. :mad:

On a positive note, there are several threads in the Suspension and Modifications forum which talk about bigger brake kits for our trucks. They are not cheap, but they do a much better job than the factory brakes.

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f262/alcon-brake-kit-62451/

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f262/r1-bbk-62699/

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f262/r1-bbk-has-arrived-56381/

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f262/big-brake-kits-55320/

FordPerf Addict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Any way to adjust the “feel” of the brakes? I’m sure there is a way but any easy ways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As pointed out in this thread, Ford knows how to make brakes because they do it in the standard F-150 as well as high performance cara like GT350R.

The Raptor's brakes are "mushy" by design because that gives the driver better braking modulation in low traction environments, ie offroad. In case you hadn't noticed, the suspension is also softer than the stock F-150 because it helps off-road.

Ford built the best off-road truck you can get from the factory and that includes the brakes. People who don't like the way it handles on the street shoud look at the Platinum with the new HO engine. That will have much better street maners.

maxemus

Reaction score
I’m on my third Raptor and been driving ford trucks since the 80’s. Trust me when I say these 18 brakes suck. I have already been close to crashing into the vehicle in front of me three times. As soon as I can I’m getting the Alcons from nick from Apollo Optiks.

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As pointed out in this thread, Ford knows how to make brakes because they do it in the standard F-150 as well as high performance cara like GT350R.

The Raptor's brakes are "mushy" by design because that gives the driver better braking modulation in low traction environments, ie offroad. In case you hadn't noticed, the suspension is also softer than the stock F-150 because it helps off-road.

Ford built the best off-road truck you can get from the factory and that includes the brakes. People who don't like the way it handles on the street shoud look at the Platinum with the new HO engine. That will have much better street maners.

This is such fanboy ******** it’s pathetic the stock raptor brakes are cheap garbage period. They are not meant to be this way by design Ford cheaped out. They cut some corners on brakes and rear leafs.

Ford Performance Vehicles should come with real “performance” brakes.

Last edited: