Picking 2018 Leadfoot Tomorrow - Inspection Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PDXCoach

Reaction score
So , after a long, patient wait I'm picking up my loaded, 2018 Leadfoot Raptor tomorrow! ( 802A, Beadlock, Carbon, Heated Rear, Sunroof ). My middle school son can't wait to be picked up from school tomorrow!

I'm hoping to get some advice as to what to look for when I go through my inspection before taking ownership of my new Raptor. I'm planning on checking the obvious door alignment issues and paint defects but do you guys have some more specific suggestions?

I will be taking her in to get the windows and sunroof tinted and LineX sprayed in the bed.

I would welcome suggestions on a bed cover ( weather tight, secure, easy access ), paint protection and underbody protection. I'm also debating an extended warranty - I've always declined in the past, but if the price is right ... thoughts?

Thank you! I look forward to sharing photos and modifications as time goes on!

Seven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for something similar. (Delivery should be this week) Search here and you'll find a few threads on checklists and also searching Google you'll find some examples. Found one Ford pdf with a 170+ checklist for pre-owned trucks, but I find that a bit much.

I'll probably just check everything I can such as windows and lights working and look for scratches then drive it home. Anything else I find I'll schedule service. Still debating on dealer prep.

Search here and other forums for tonneau covers, there are thousands of options. I decided on the Gator SR1 since my friend has one and it should be fine for my needs. I'd like one of the aluminum rollup ones but spending ~250 (Gator SR1) vs ~900+ make my choice an easy one. It all depends on what you are carrying and trying to protect.

For paint protection I'm hitting a local SunTek shop to get the basic protection, front of hood, side mirrors and maybe a few other areas. Just basic small stone protection while driving on the highway.

Not spending anything on underbody protection but I do plan on getting an extended warranty via https://www.floodfordesp.com/ or have my local dealer match this warranty and price.

I plan on keeping this 5-10 years so I'll probably choose an 8 year 60-75k miles. Splitting this with my current car for daily drivers. Guessing 4-5k miles for both of them a year.

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
Mine should be in this week as well. Look for excess corrosion underneath, check your tire pressure, make sure you get both keys, manuals, boxlink cleats and keys.

For a bed cover I went with the Undercover SE. I have had them on my last two trucks and they worked great. The Line-X dealer in Tualatin will be doing the bed. I will do the wheel wells myself.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Take a look at all the issues Ford fixed before my 2017 escaped from “Ramp 59”

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f260/doc-came-my-truck-52185/

There was a thread from months ago documenting 2017 observed issues, and it ventured into a discussion on what to check for at delivery. I contributed a missive on what all I did and suggested based on observations from that discussion and others on FRF, as well as my own personal persnicketiness.
Some apparently didn’t believe me and were like “Dude, WTF?”

I’m dropping just short of 70g’s I’m going to be a little on the thorough side.

here’s what I checked and did before driving off in my new truck.
Get there as early as possible, bring a friend for a second set of eyes.
bring a bright flashlight, and if you don’t like getting dirty, coveralls.

inspect the fitment of the body panels. Don’t bring dial calipers, you’ll make yourself crazy. if it fits and looks even to the naked eyes, you’re good.

Take pictures from every angle in light and shadow or indirect light if possible. If you do drive off and find a visible flaw, pics should remove any ambiguity.

pop the hood, tailgate and all doors and make sure they don’t bind. check for full paint on the sills and not easily seen areas. A few trucks have made it into the wild with overspray, orange peel or insufficient paint.

from the bed, inspect the roof for paint imperfections, etc.

check the engine bay - loose clamps in particular, signs of any fluid anywhere.

if you don’t like getting dirty, you can ask the dealer to put the truck on a lift.
it’s a 4x4, if you don’t like getting dirty, Raptor is probably not for you but anyway... Crawl up under the truck and inspect for leaks, any visible hoses and joints. check from the engine bay back. It’s your money, be as thorough as you need to be.

if you don’t find anything, great. BOLO for seeping at the oil pan, and transmission in particular. We have had a few spectacular incidents - radiator hose popped off, transmission puking fluid and what seems to be most popular is the leaking oil pan; the accursed plastic wonder, weight saving with a seemingly difficult to properly install procedure - part. Note: You may see surface rust on some of the parts. Apparently Ford does not consider this a warranty service item, so if this is significant to you, have the dealer clean up the surface rust on the under side of the truck before you take delivery. Once you take delivery, they won’t address this as a warranty claim.

At this point, I went for a test drive (after closing the hood and tail gate). We were out for almost an hour, with lots of throttle, traffic, back roads, interstate, some very minor dirt, but not really anything worth mentioning, but the only thing the saleslady wouldn’t “ok” was mall crawling. :)

Upon return I got up under the truck again and searched for leaks for about 5 minutes.

At that point I was pretty ok with the purchase. Then it was only getting the pre-drive off briefing on all the tech, new stuff, etc.

Good luck!

OP
OP
P

PDXCoach

Reaction score
Thank you for the great replies! I also utilized the search function last night which would have taken me to the 2 dozen threads on the same topic making me truly appreciate you all taking the time to reply.

I'm heading out in 20 minutes to pick her up and bringing a flashlight and a copy of your reply here an in another thread.

Now if only I could get someone to come clean out my garage so the new Raptor will fit ...

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Thank you for the great replies! I also utilized the search function last night which would have taken me to the 2 dozen threads on the same topic making me truly appreciate you all taking the time to reply.

I'm heading out in 20 minutes to pick her up and bringing a flashlight and a copy of your reply here an in another thread.

Now if only I could get someone to come clean out my garage so the new Raptor will fit ...

Cool! good luck and remember:
pictures. or it never happened.:biggrin: