Painted Body Color Skid Plate Anyone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotLap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw a pic where the skid plate had been rhino lined...thought it looked good and would provide protection from rocks/scratches. I'm planning on rhino lining the inner wheel wells too. One member here posted his results from a do it yourself liner kit and that's likely the route I'll end up taking.

Reaction score
I’m also wondering if the lower gray section on the bumper can be removed? The ETA for my truck is the end of this month so I’m trying to get things lined up to have skid plate powder coated to match the bumper.

No, the skid plate is painted/coated that light gray color and that color extends up onto the front bumper unfortunately. I had to remove my skid plate and front bumper (the middle piece is separate from the wing tips) and take the 4 pieces to the body shop for paint. The four pieces include the skid plate, drivers wing tip, passenger wing tip, and middle bumper. I had them all painted the magnetic trim color because if you just have the center part of the bumper painted it won't match the sheen of the wing tips anymore.

---------- Post added at 01:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 PM ----------

How does the bottom part of the bumper detach so it can be painted along with the skid plate?

Ugh, I thought it'd be a little easier than it ended up being...but I was able to figure it out. Basically remove the front plastic grill piece in the center part of the bumper by prying it off with a little screwdriver. There are large nuts behind this cover that need to be removed. Then go to each wing tip and remove all nuts/bolts you can find. Also have to remove some sensor on the driver side of the truck that sits behind the plastic cover thing...not sure if it's part of the horn or some sort of sensing device for cruise. After that, the 3 pieces of the bumper should be able to be lowered from the truck and then taken apart so they are 3 separate pieces.

Reaction score
I painted mine to match the magnetic color of the trim on a leadfoot truck:)

Attachments

• 54359933045__B8313BED-D1D9-438A-8E15-B3A6D12B93E0.jpg
    54359933045__B8313BED-D1D9-438A-8E15-B3A6D12B93E0.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 242

Tlh235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Think i'm gonna go the Spray on Bedliner route for mine(magnetic). I did the inside of my jeep hardtop(it was white) and it turned out great. It drys very evenly so I don't have to worry about being a pro-painter.

charliebrown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just when I thought I had my mod list under control, I read this thread. Damn. Now I’m thinking I want to do this. My truck is magnetic and I’m thinking match the bumper or maybe body color. Either way, I’m glad there are those of you out there willing to take the plunge and post pics for the rest of us!

Keep ‘em coning! [emoji41]