Over Sand Vehicles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JJC

Reaction score
I plan on taking the truck on some Cape Cod beaches this summer. One of the regs is to deflate to ~18psi. Would think these trucks can handle beach sand in any one of several modes w/o tire deflation.
Thoughts please ...

taco-13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I plan on taking the truck on some Cape Cod beaches this summer. One of the regs is to deflate to ~18psi. Would think these trucks can handle beach sand in any one of several modes w/o tire deflation.
Thoughts please ...

Airing down really makes it easy on the truck. Dont want to be that guy that has a great truck but gets stuck in the soft sand because you didnt want to air down. I am at the beach every week. I use these

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005VF7M00/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

I screw them on and start driving. By the time I hit the actual beach (about 2 mins of a sand road drive) they are done. When I find a spot to park I take them off. Saves tons of time.

JetDriver480

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What do you air down to? Had a bad experience in my Jeep once as a kid so always been a little hesitant to go too low. My Truck is running 35x12.50 Toyo M/T's

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What do you air down to? Had a bad experience in my Jeep once as a kid so always been a little hesitant to go too low. My Truck is running 35x12.50 Toyo M/T's

Gen 1 - but when I go to the sand dunes I air down to about 15psi. Truck does amazing. On the beach you'll have no problems. You will literally be able to run circles around other trucks.

Only warning I have - unless you have beadlocks, try not to get into a fast sideways slide/drift situation. That's the only time I've lost a bead (two actually).

Last edited:

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
JJC,
I learned how to drive on the sand 50 years ago. You will almost never need to touch the brake pedal. Slowly depress the gas pedal; slowly ease off the gas pedal. Maintain momentum as much as you can. Letting air of the tires greatly increases the footprint in the sand and allows you to float up on the surface.
Gradually turn. Accelerate on flat areas well before you start to go up hill. Maintain speed up the inclines, be very careful if going over a dune as sometimes the drop on the other side may be significant. Try to follow others tracks in the sand; the already compacted sand makes it easier for your truck to move forward as the tires will find a bit less resistance.
FAT tires. I had a 55 Dodge PowerWagon with 38 x 15.5 x 16.5 tires...I never had to air down as the fat tires floated on the sand...even at 2 mph idle!
The taller the side wall the more the bulge when airing down...a 17 inch wheel with a 35" tire has a sidewall of 9 inches; a 20" wheel with a 35 inch tire has a sidewall of 7.5. The larger the sidewall the bigger the bulge....the lower the pressure the bigger the bulge also....
I've traveled miles and miles on the sand at 15 to 20 # air pressure with out any problems. The higher the speed you plan on using the higher the pressure to prevent popping a bead loose....or be careful and make gradual turns. I've traveled at 90 mph on the beaches in the winter...no one to complain....with 44# pressure. And traveled at the speed limit of 15 mph with 10 #...
Most importantly, carry a long handled shovel, and recovery rope, shackles, etc. When you bog down stop and assess the situation. You WILL eventually get stuck. Dig out the sand that has built up under the axles/frame, but try not to dig out under the tires. Instead try to make a gentle incline in the sand in front of the tires in the direction you will be going to extricate your self. Remember it is always easier to roll DOWN an incline. Coming off the beaches sometimes you may need to go uphill 10 to 20 feet in elevation. Gaining speed before you start up the incline ....sometimes a 1/4 mile or more will help you from bogging down...

Eddie

bigrig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run 25-23psi at Pismo and think that is the sweet spot for a Gen1. Never had a bead pop off and always got the traction to make it up the dunes. I think you could go a little lower with a Gen2 since those are about 500 lbs lighter.

Alternately, you could acquiesce to the Raptor gods and purchase yourself some nice beadlock wheels and drop that pressure down to 18psi :)