Order or wait?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Msb.19d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First I would like to say I'm a brand new member, I just made an account today but I have been reading threads on here for a couple months. I want to say thanks for all the threads and different types of information that you guys post here. It's been a pleasure to read and learn about this truck from actual owners.

So I have been interested in ordering the new raptor ever since about the end of 2016. I decided that I would wait awhile and be in no hurry since most dealerships were charging a rediculous mark up and I felt like It would be best for me to have a substantial amount saved up to put down as a down payment also without having to go into current savings. Well this weekend the dealership in my town of Sanford NC has two on their showroom floor and I went by to see them and talk about ordering one just how I wanted. Well the black one they have they want 7k dealer markup on and the silver they want 5k markup. Both are identical except color and the silver has decals on hood and bed sides. I asked if I ordered one could I get it for 1k under msrp and immediately the guy said no with kind of a crappy attitude towards me. Well I called another dealership down the road alittle ways and asked if I could order one for msrp and told them that I would be ordering one from somewhere for msrp or lower the only question was will I have to drive a ways or out of state or not to do so. They told me I could order one to my specifications at msrp and it would not come in till around middle of August 2018. This time frame is actually perfect because that is when I really want to buy one is July or aug in 2018 because I will have saved up 50k to put down on one by then. My question is do you think I should jump on this offer at building one how I want and pay msrp and take their word that it want come in till like aug 2018 which is when I want to actually buy one. Or should I wait and see if I can order one at a cheaper price or wait to see what the 2019s might actually offer as far as engine options etc. please don't flame me about anything guys if you can help it, like I said I'm new and this is the first time I've ever asked a question on any forum ever to be honest. Thx in advance for any replys you send back

xBryanHoodsx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered one this last week my dealer told me may for delivery so august seems really far out for when it would show up. In regards to the 19 I doubt ford is going do anything crazy if anything a v8 option would be the 5.0 as a lower output model ... maybe???? They aren't going to come out with some supercharged coyote or voodoo motor as fords not that crazy....plus supposedly ford lperformance is working on that whipple tune and will be coming out with a fomoco performance tune .... which would be awesome but more rumors .....**** it order it up and with that far out splurge on the 802a package also not like the 6.2 killed value so much of the 5.4 in the gens 1 where it made the truck worthless ....

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 PM ----------

I paid 1k over invoice FYI deals are out there. **** any dealer selling over msrp

OP
OP
M

Msb.19d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for replying, yea I think I'm gonna order it when I come back in from work aug 14, I want to get black one with orange accent and carbon fiber package, will get everything pretty much except the graphics, I don't think a black truck will need the graphics or be worth it anyways. Maybe the good graphics but not the bed ones. I will have to pay msrp but it's only 7 miles from my house

dlbb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
msrp is msrp. get what u want and know that a lil patience saved u 5-25k.

no i didn't get an msrp deal. but i did get exactly what i wanted at a price i was willing to pay. and i didn't have to order another truck either.

GNice4U

Reaction score
Hastings Ford in Greenville, NC doesn't charge any markup on the Raptor. Just bought mine from them. I highly recommend to all

mr_beaverhousen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can be playing the waiting for the next years model year after year. If you can get one build-to-order at MSRP or lower then that's what I would have done. Heck I would be hitting up the previous poster who got it for 1k over invoice as to how he got his.

I love my truck and I paid MSRP but it was a special order where customer fell through as he didn't qualify for financing. The two other local dealers were asking $10k over without current inventory or a 3 year waiting list.

If I had played the waiting game, I could easily see myself waiting for a Gen 3 Raptor.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Msb.19d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford in Sanford nc wanted 7k over and ford in lilington nc said I can order one for msrp, they are only 20 miles apart and I live in the middle of them. I'm thinking of getting the orange accent and carbon fiber packages together.. is this ok or a no no in your opinion?

---------- Post added at 02:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:57 AM ----------

Hey as long as you got what u wanted and happy all that matters. I needed to start saving so waiting on the mark up was just a option that was in my favor . I would've payed it also though if would've been ready.

---------- Post added at 03:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 AM ----------

How much is invoice? How much less than msrp?

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford in Sanford nc wanted 7k over and ford in lilington nc said I can order one for msrp, they are only 20 miles apart and I live in the middle of them. I'm thinking of getting the orange accent and carbon fiber packages together.. is this ok or a no no in your opinion?

---------- Post added at 02:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:57 AM ----------

Hey as long as you got what u wanted and happy all that matters. I needed to start saving so waiting on the mark up was just a option that was in my favor . I would've payed it also though if would've been ready.

---------- Post added at 03:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 AM ----------

How much is invoice? How much less than msrp?

Invoice is about $5k less than MSRP on a loaded truck. You should also plan for the price to rise by $1k at some point in 2018 if Ford does what it did in 2017.

August 2018 delivery is pretty darn late and I would be suspicious if they actually have any 2018 allocations left.

By this time next year I would bet you could find a deal under MSRP if you were willing to travel.

If the dealer you are talking to will put your name on a truck without a deposit, then there is nothing to lose and then continuing your search. If they want a deposit, I would make sure you are putting a deposit on one of their 2018 allocations.

I have orange accent and carbon. I didn't want the orange accents, but it was the right truck at the right price so I went with it. Now I love the orange accent and pretty much everyone who has seen them says they look great. Carbon fiber is cool, but it is pretty darn expensive for what it is and probably not worth it if you are budget conscious.

Last edited:

-Ryan-

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your delivery date is a year from now? Maybe it's time I get serious about getting an order in.

OP
OP
M

Msb.19d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm wanting the accent with carbon fiber also, getting a black truck so not wanting the bed graphics, I'm still undecided on the good graphics, I'm just not sure if it will look good or not. So far I've been told I can come in and order a 2018 raptor and expect to get it in August 2018. I will know more when I come back home August 14th and go to the dealer to place the order. So far I've been told I can order it at msrp with no problem through them. They are a small town dealership that not many people would ever think to call. I'm actually gonna try to talk them into a couple thousand below msrp, mostly because NC has the second highest Dealer fees in the country. They will be around 800 bucks. So I'm hopeing to atleast use this as my argument to get atleast 1k knocked off msrp. I'm in no hurry at all to get the truck. The longer it takes the more down payment I will have. Come August next year I will have 50k give Or take a thousand or two to throw down on it. I just hate the idea of a 900 dollar truck note every month lol. All the trucks I've seen for sale on lots had carbon fiber with no accent or neither, so ordering is my best bet to get one just how I want it. Yea it might be dumb but I figure if I'm gonna pay this much for my dream truck I might as well get it how I want it and fully loaded minus anythiNg that is a complete waste of money like the bed graphics you probably can't see on a black truck anyways. I just hope this dealership isn't telling me something they can't follow thru with when I actually show up to order it. I will go all drill Sgt on their ass :)

---------- Post added at 07:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 AM ----------

Yea they told me if I order one now I would be looking at August 2018 getting it. They could just be saying that to get me to hurry up and order but I hope it's true, July or August 2018 is exactly when I really want to finish the deal