Orange peel in the paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonecapone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was doing my own PDI before picking up my Raptor. I noticed the rusty axle, leaking rear diff, a bit of space between the passenger headlight and panel under the grill. Also the Raptor has some orange peel in the pain on the front quarter panel. I am pretty good mechanically, but I'm not a paint guru so my questions are:
1. How much orange peel is too much to fix?
2. Is orange peel repair covered by Ford
3. What location is everyone else seeing it.

Thanks for the help
Tone

matt33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bummer for sure. I would make Ford fix the other stuff, but a bit of orange peel in factory paint is pretty normal in my experience.

BTW, there is no "front quarter panel". It's a fender. Just a small pet peeve of mine. Listening to NASCAR race commentators on TV makes my head want to explode.

OP
OP
Tonecapone

Tonecapone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bummer for sure. I would make Ford fix the other stuff, but a bit of orange peel in factory paint is pretty normal in my experience.

BTW, there is no "front quarter panel". It's a fender. Just a small pet peeve of mine. Listening to NASCAR race commentators on TV makes my head want to explode.

And see, I always call it a fender but changed it to "quarter panel" because I did not want to sound like an idiot on the forum...guess that did not work out at all, lol

Tone

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Factory paint has had orange peel for a long time. It seems to have gotten a bit worse since 15' when they went with the aluminum body.

My suggestion is if it's somewhat uniform across the truck don't mess with it.

Keep in mind you're probably being a bit hypersensitive looking for problems. Ask yourself if from a few feet away that is going to bother you.

Never a good idea to mess with factory paint unless absolutely necessary.

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Watching any form of racing that only turns left makes my head want to explode! Although it's better than main stream team sports and it's fans! Both of which I HATE.

westchiro

Reaction score
I was doing my own PDI before picking up my Raptor. I noticed the rusty axle, leaking rear diff, a bit of space between the passenger headlight and panel under the grill. Also the Raptor has some orange peel in the pain on the front quarter panel. I am pretty good mechanically, but I'm not a paint guru so my questions are:
1. How much orange peel is too much to fix?
2. Is orange peel repair covered by Ford
3. What location is everyone else seeing it.

Thanks for the help
Tone

Ouch... sorry to hear of the issues? did you take it home? How does it drive? makes me really nervous about my dealer wanting to deliver mine 100 miles with some retired couple.. driving it to me when it arrives this week...makes my skin crawl...

OP
OP
Tonecapone

Tonecapone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ouch... sorry to hear of the issues? did you take it home? How does it drive? makes me really nervous about my dealer wanting to deliver mine 100 miles with some retired couple.. driving it to me when it arrives this week...makes my skin crawl...

It is still at the dealer with the diff seal leak and there was a ding in the rear bumper from transit.
Tone

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did you ever get an answer to this?

FWIW, you'll have to take off most (if not all) of the clear coat to get rid of the orange peel. It is annoying but I think it is better to leave on more clear than get rid of the peel.

Lumadar

Reaction score
17+ year detailing veteran and current global professional product manager at Meguiar's here.... the simple answer to "can factory orange peel be fixed?" is no. Can you technically level it out? Yes, you can - but there is simply nowhere near enough factory clear to do so safely and not compromise the entire paint job.

We have done some special detail jobs for some OEMs for SEMA and such and when they ask if we can remove the orange peel we explain very clearly that we can - but expect that clear coat to fail within 1-3 years of normal use. Sure enough, some have a couple of years later.

Now, if you are working on an aftermarket painted panel, then yes, USUALLY you can as humans lay down considerably more paint than the factory machines do.