One Month Anniversary - My thoughts, what's yours?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Monsoon Chopper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not trying to be a sap here, but today marks 30 days of owning my Raptor. I picked her up in Dallas and drove her home to Phoenix, which was my first drive in her. Now that I have 30 days and 2,500 miles on her, here's what I can say about her:

I truly enjoy everything about this truck.
The ride is smooth, no matter the surface.
Acceleration is great - for a truck!
Ergonomics - she fits like a glove, everything is well placed. My only complaint would be the Fan Speed button on the AC Controls. Too small for my liking.
Room and Space - Seems to be the roomiest 4 door truck I've ever owned.
Technology - I think Ford really hit it out of the park with the technology. But I must admit, this is the first Ford I've owned in over 20 years.
Cool Factor - It's just a really cool truck, that drives more like a sports sedan.

Dislikes:
Brakes - not a deal breaker, but I think they should have gone to a 18" wheel, with a larger disk rotor and 2 more pistons, at least for the front.
Horn Chirping - while existing the truck while running - annoying as hell.
License Plate Lights - $70k truck, with everything LED, but these 2 lights! I did change them out, but c'mon man!
Wish the gauges had actual numbers over the bar graph. The fuel gauge has DTE numbers on it, why can't temp gauges have actual numbers too.
Fuel Economy - I didn't buy it for fuel economy, but I am getting no where close to what they say it should get. The best I get is close to 15 overall.

Mods:
LED License Plate Lights
BakFlip MX4 Tonneau Cover
BedRug bed and tailgate mat
20% front window tint
Level Kit - near future

Conclusion - There's really nothing about this truck that made me second guess my decision to buy it. I hope to keep it for many years to come. There's nothing I am going to change about it, but only the mods I have mentioned. Just thought I would share my first 30 days.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Ford did their due diligence in coming up with a package and spec’ing it to run anywhere under any condition. 2017 brings a lot of technology to the table and with it a lot of compromises.

Drive modes should have default and optional modes; that is, if you want to configure the default drive mode to sport, you should have that option. if you want auto start stop on, that can be a default but it should be able to be configured off in any mode. You should be able to select a default 4x? setting per drive mode. Motorcycles have this tech now and for much less money.

There should be another drive mode added; eco. It should be the current “normal” drive mode. Eco should be below normal and “normal” should be between the current normal and sport mode. Let the user pick the default drive mode and give us a rotary dial switch to pick it and stick with it.

the 802A stereo should be better. It’s loud enough windows closed, but windows open it gets overwhelmed. Needs more bass factory.

I’m not getting much worse mileage in the Raptor than I got in my turbo outback and it’s every bit as quick to 60, probably quicker.

I think the tires limit both acceleration and braking. I realize this is an off road truck that is street legal. really, the fact that you can legitimately drive this truck every day if you want to, is a testament to the engineering and development that went into this truck.

I’d like a way to cycle through all of my audio presets from the steering wheel. I’d like an easier interaction with the nav system, especially while moving. Admittedly, I am not directly in touch with the Ford nav system voice commands yet, but by the time I’ve gone through voice prompts to find a gas station, I’ve passed the first 3 !

the key fob is YYUUUUUUGEEE.

none of these break the deal for me.

Torque. it’s there when you want it.
ride quality: excellent for a truck.
room: the cabin is spacious and well laid out. Our Golden Retriever love it.
Tech: There’s a lot
As I famously told my bmw driving neighbor - “We’re making driving great again”.

dislikes:
give me configurable drive modes.
a little more stereo for the money.
gear display that goes away when you use either paddles or buttons on the shifter
a few driver interaction nit picks.

I would buy it again, knowing what I know now.

Autophanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford did their due diligence in coming up with a package and spec’ing it to run anywhere under any condition. 2017 brings a lot of technology to the table and with it a lot of compromises.

Drive modes should have default and optional modes; that is, if you want to configure the default drive mode to sport, you should have that option. if you want auto start stop on, that can be a default but it should be able to be configured off in any mode. You should be able to select a default 4x? setting per drive mode. Motorcycles have this tech now and for much less money.

There should be another drive mode added; eco. It should be the current “normal” drive mode. Eco should be below normal and “normal” should be between the current normal and sport mode. Let the user pick the default drive mode and give us a rotary dial switch to pick it and stick with it.

the 802A stereo should be better. It’s loud enough windows closed, but windows open it gets overwhelmed. Needs more bass factory.

I’m not getting much worse mileage in the Raptor than I got in my turbo outback and it’s every bit as quick to 60, probably quicker.

I think the tires limit both acceleration and braking. I realize this is an off road truck that is street legal. really, the fact that you can legitimately drive this truck every day if you want to, is a testament to the engineering and development that went into this truck.

I’d like a way to cycle through all of my audio presets from the steering wheel. I’d like an easier interaction with the nav system, especially while moving. Admittedly, I am not directly in touch with the Ford nav system voice commands yet, but by the time I’ve gone through voice prompts to find a gas station, I’ve passed the first 3 !

the key fob is YYUUUUUUGEEE.

none of these break the deal for me.

Torque. it’s there when you want it.
ride quality: excellent for a truck.
room: the cabin is spacious and well laid out. Our Golden Retriever love it.
Tech: There’s a lot
As I famously told my bmw driving neighbor - “We’re making driving great again”.

dislikes:
give me configurable drive modes.
a little more stereo for the money.
gear display that goes away when you use either paddles or buttons on the shifter
a few driver interaction nit picks.

I would buy it again, knowing what I know now.

Love the "making driving great again"!!

mahabali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Smurf, you hit the nail on the head. I agree with everything you said. Mostly good but a few quirky things that I wish were different, none of them dealbreakers though.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not trying to be a sap here, but today marks 30 days of owning my Raptor. I picked her up in Dallas and drove her home to Phoenix, which was my first drive in her. Now that I have 30 days and 2,500 miles on her, here's what I can say about her:

I truly enjoy everything about this truck.
The ride is smooth, no matter the surface.
Acceleration is great - for a truck!
Ergonomics - she fits like a glove, everything is well placed. My only complaint would be the Fan Speed button on the AC Controls. Too small for my liking.
Room and Space - Seems to be the roomiest 4 door truck I've ever owned.
Technology - I think Ford really hit it out of the park with the technology. But I must admit, this is the first Ford I've owned in over 20 years.
Cool Factor - It's just a really cool truck, that drives more like a sports sedan.

Dislikes:
Brakes - not a deal breaker, but I think they should have gone to a 18" wheel, with a larger disk rotor and 2 more pistons, at least for the front.
Horn Chirping - while existing the truck while running - annoying as hell.
License Plate Lights - $70k truck, with everything LED, but these 2 lights! I did change them out, but c'mon man!
Wish the gauges had actual numbers over the bar graph. The fuel gauge has DTE numbers on it, why can't temp gauges have actual numbers too.
Fuel Economy - I didn't buy it for fuel economy, but I am getting no where close to what they say it should get. The best I get is close to 15 overall.

Mods:
LED License Plate Lights
BakFlip MX4 Tonneau Cover
BedRug bed and tailgate mat
20% front window tint
Level Kit - near future

Conclusion - There's really nothing about this truck that made me second guess my decision to buy it. I hope to keep it for many years to come. There's nothing I am going to change about it, but only the mods I have mentioned. Just thought I would share my first 30 days.

I believe with Forscan, you can add numbers to the display as well as get rid of the horn chirp!