GEN 2 Oil on passenger door, running boards, and rear fender.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mjvthomas

Reaction score
Just got home from picking up sand bags for Hurricane Irma and noticed oil splatter from the passenger wheel well all the way down to the rear fender. I parked in the driveway and notice a small leak coming from somewhere, cant exactly find it. I searched the forums and read that the oil pan can sometimes leak, but wanted to see if anyone else has any suggestions. I checked the oil and it is showing up to the top hole.

I called the local dealership I purchased the truck from and they have limited service available tomorrow because of the storm. The service rep said I could drop it off in the morning and "maybe" they could take a look at it.

Needless to say I'm not very happy with a 2017 truck with 600 miles on it.

Not what I was hoping for in a "first post."

taco-13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got home from picking up sand bags for Hurricane Irma and noticed oil splatter from the passenger wheel well all the way down to the rear fender. I parked in the driveway and notice a small leak coming from somewhere, cant exactly find it. I searched the forums and read that the oil pan can sometimes leak, but wanted to see if anyone else has any suggestions. I checked the oil and it is showing up to the top hole.

I called the local dealership I purchased the truck from and they have limited service available tomorrow because of the storm. The service rep said I could drop it off in the morning and "maybe" they could take a look at it.

Needless to say I'm not very happy with a 2017 truck with 600 miles on it.

Not what I was hoping for in a "first post."

The oil pan leak is very small. In most cases you wouldn't even find a single drop of oil on your driveway. What your describing seems a lot different. Maybe its a high pressure oil line. Check the passenger side turbo.

OP
OP
M

Mjvthomas

Reaction score
Ill go in the garage and take a look at the passenger side turbo. Should I even drive the truck to the dealership tomorrow? Chances are they wont even be able to look at it and I'll have to bring it back next week anyways. They are only about 7-8 miles from my house.

OP
OP
M

Mjvthomas

Reaction score
I tried to see if I could see any leaks from above with a flash light and didnt have any luck. When I was under the truck earlier it looked like it was coming from near the heat shield. I took a few pictures not sure if this helps. The truck has been in the garage for about 30 min and there is already a small puddle. Wondering if I got a lemon or something.

Attachments

• IMG_1447.jpg
    IMG_1447.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1448.jpg
    IMG_1448.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1449.jpg
    IMG_1449.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 76

mmaterni

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried to see if I could see any leaks from above with a flash light and didnt have any luck. When I was under the truck earlier it looked like it was coming from near the heat shield. I took a few pictures not sure if this helps. The truck has been in the garage for about 30 min and there is already a small puddle. Wondering if I got a lemon or something.
From the picture it looks like you may want to look at the shock on that side. The other pic looks kind of reddish in color on the side of the truck which is what color the shock fluid is. Good luck with the repair and the storm. My wife and I are trying to see if we can make a dash down there to assist if things get bad. We couldn't make it to Houston so we feel like we really need to make this work if it's bad for you guys. The FRF community will always step up to assist. Always has.

Famous last words, "if you hit it faster it will smooth out some!"

OP
OP
M

Mjvthomas

Reaction score
Bad news, dealership just called. It was the transmission fluid that was leaking. They are sending pictures of the leak that I will post. I guess the leak is coming from the bell housing. How concerned should I be about this?

Horrible situation as the dealership is keeping the truck inside for the hurricane until parts arrive, but my wife and I will be stuck with her ford focus for our home.

The truck has 650 miles on it..... I'm starting to get flashbacks of my lemon range rover.

OP
OP
M

Mjvthomas

Reaction score
These are the pictures the service manager text me. They said they have to pull the transmission to replace the part that is leaking. It should be fixed next week.

My wife is in the background telling me the truck is a lemon.

Attachments

• IMG_1456.jpg
    IMG_1456.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1457.jpg
    IMG_1457.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 60