Oil catch can needed for Gen 2's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

paulny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I have owned my '18 Raptor for almost two months now and like most of you I suspect, plan on keeping my truck for a long time. However, I am still a little confused and am hoping that some of you seasoned veterans can not only help me understand, but educate me about the benefit of a catch can and ultimately advise me on whether I need one for my rig? I have already changed my diff fluid to Amsoil (will eventually change all fluids to amsoil) and want to continue making improvements to prolong it's life. Thanks ahead of time!

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Depends who you ask... If you want to keep it a long time like you say, it isn't a huge investment to put one on. I'm in the 'not needed' camp for now.

MGD

Banned
Reaction score
The only job the catch can does is to keep oil from getting in the intercooler. If you don’t want oil to accumulate in the intercooler, then get a catch can.

OP
OP
paulny

paulny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends who you ask... If you want to keep it a long time like you say, it isn't a huge investment to put one on. I'm in the 'not needed' camp for now.

Thanks! So, is it fair to deduce from your statement that there is no proven benefit regarding longevity after a catch can is installed? Just curious as to why you state that you're in the not needed camp for now?

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks! So, is it fair to deduce from your statement that there is no proven benefit regarding longevity after a catch can is installed? Just curious as to why you state that you're in the not needed camp for now?

No long term benefits have been proven... also, if it really needed one, don't you think the people who built the truck would have put one on?

OP
OP
paulny

paulny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No long term benefits have been proven... also, if it really needed one, don't you think the people who built the truck would have put one on?

I completely agree. However, from the research I've done on the forum, it appears that many members have installed the catch can. Therefore, I wasn't sure if this was purely preventative maintenance or if it actually works and increases durability/reliability over time.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I completely agree. However, from the research I've done on the forum, it appears that many members have installed the catch can. Therefore, I wasn't sure if this was purely preventative maintenance or if it actually works and increases durability/reliability over time.

I would say that a catch can certainly can't hurt, so many people choose to do it just because I guess. Nothing wrong with that either.

Sasquatch78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trolling is all mgd can do

The only job the catch can does is to keep oil from getting in the intercooler. If you don’t want oil to accumulate in the intercooler, then get a catch can.

If you don't want ******** to flood your internet forum, you need to ban user MGD.

Reaction score
im a nogo on a Catch can over here.......after owning a first gen EB with zero issues(76Kmiles before i sold it) i removed the IC around 65K after hearing all these problems with hesitation when accelerating and condensation buildup in the bottom of the IC. it was bone dry except for some minor oil residue which is normal from what I've read. While it was removed i cleaned it out with acetone and a leaf blower......cheers