Oil analysis from my Jenny

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BurnOut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Far from being an extreme use case, at the time of the oil change the truck had about 10.1k miles on it, and around 5300 miles on Royal Purple 5W-30 run through a Wix filter. Comments from Blackstone Labs:

Universal averages show typical wear levels after about 6,000 miles on the oil. Your interval was a little shorter than average, sure, but considering how low-mileage the engine is, we're impressed that there isn't more break-in material still lingering in the engine. Maybe you did a few short changes right off the bat to clear most of that stuff out, or maybe this engine is just ahead of the curve already. No fuel dilution, water, or coolant was found, and the viscosity/insolubles levels were fine.

I should note that they're correct in their guess about earlier oil changes; I did the first oil change at ~1800 miles (Ford semi-synthetic), and the next at ~4800 miles when I went to the Royal Purple. Currently I'm running a Wix filter and Mobil 1 Annual Protection (though I intend to stick to ~5k change intervals). I decided on the Mobil 1 after watching this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-zDt9FGJi8 (long, but interesting if you care to learn about how an oil manufacturer evaluates their product)

All in all, based on the oil analysis, I'd have to say that it's pretty healthy (as it should be at this point).

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
USPS lost my 2nd oil change sample, so that kind of sucks, but my first was similar.

I changed at ~5k, they suggested ~7k for the next one, so had Ford synthetic in it for about 7k miles.

Did they give you an idea how much life was left in the oil and suggest a change interval?

OP
OP
B

BurnOut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, they suggested a 7k oil change interval, but I think I'm going to stick with ~5k intervals... especially since there aren't any drain plug threads to wear out... :)

The way I see it, it's cheap insurance, and gives me an excuse to look around under the truck to make sure that everything else looks a'ight.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
Another thing they told me was the oil from the factory was 5/20, not 5/30. They said it was consistent across all there 3.5 models they had data on. I’m sure normal street driving is fine to 10k but put any off road miles on, some serious driving, towing etc, and yeah, I’m changing the oil sooner too.

Carnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same. I know it not “necessary” but I feel a lot better with shorter change intervals-I’d like the truck to last for a long time. I also enjoy changing my own oil. 1st time it was a mess as the oil does dump out very quickly when you pull the plug but now I’ve got a system and make zero mess.
I do wish Ford would make it a little easier- ie BMW uses a canister filter up top. Take the lid off, lift out the filter- super easy, no mess and you can pre-fill the canister with new oil.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
USPS lost my 2nd oil change sample, so that kind of sucks, but my first was similar.

I changed at ~5k, they suggested ~7k for the next one, so had Ford synthetic in it for about 7k miles.

Did they give you an idea how much life was left in the oil and suggest a change interval?

So about 3 months later, I got my report. everything looks good, plenty of life left in the oil. I changed it at 7k on Ford Synthetic.

Viscosity in spec, no fuel or coolant, TBN good, ok to go to 9k miles if warranty allows. I would classify the driving as aggressive street driving, a couple brief trips off road.

Same. I know it not “necessary” but I feel a lot better with shorter change intervals-I’d like the truck to last for a long time. I also enjoy changing my own oil. 1st time it was a mess as the oil does dump out very quickly when you pull the plug but now I’ve got a system and make zero mess.

ok, that’s just as good a reason as any. if it gives you peace of mind, then great!