GEN 2 Offroad Drive Modes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bark beetle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While reading nice build info from ntm in the gen 1 section and IWE removal by Ironman I discovered that Fords have IWE or auto engaging/disengaging hubs. Coming from a long line of Toyotas that spin the half shafts all the time this created an interesting experiment. Running 2wd didn't save the front driveline on my Yotas and resulting in many ripped CV boots which sucks really bad when you are in BFE. Ripped boot in BFE equals CV grease absolutely everywhere and I hate CV grease. Being hard coupled also hurts gas mileage, not that I care a huge amount about that. So I had to go see if the gen 2 has the same setup and it does, kinda excited about the prospect of less torn boots and front driveline wear but not excited about the prospect of more crap to break. I hope the gen 2 stuff is beefier. Parts catalogs are not up to 2017 Raptors yet.

So now the drive mode question to answer, which modes let me use the best braking and offroad performance combination and run 2wd to minimize driveline damage?

Sport mode had decent braking performance and obviously works in 2wd.

Mud/sand had great braking performance but will not allow 2wd. Boo, was my favorite mode until this discovery because I had incorrectly assumed the half shafts were spinning all the time anyway.

Baja also had great braking performance and it allows 2wd but I wasn't super excited about running high rpm all day. Messed around town with full manual shifting combined with baja forces it to go to lower rpm when desired. At 40 mph I could force it all the way up to 9th gear and around 1100-1200 rpm. It will auto downshift through the gears to keep rpm above this level. This is an interesting development they may prove to be a good mode for more casual offroad sections where I wouldn't want the engine reving out and I don't want to run 4x4. If the windows are up, checking the tac will be mandatory.

Rock crawl doesn't work either as 4 low is the only option available in the mode.

So, disappointed that my favorite mode isn't an option with 2wd but at least there are a couple ways to go. Really need a 2wd locker mod, which ideally would force the nannies off and allow sport mode to be a better contender.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Hwy. Chile

Reaction score
Any experience driving in loose beach sand? Going to Assateague and hoping I can get away with not deflating the tires.

Toadster

FRF Addict
Reaction score
in the spirit of everyone loving drive modes - thoughts on this T-shirt?

I colorized the models :)

41pBMHW.jpg

---------- Post added at 09:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 AM ----------

or for you orange accent guys ;)

RoZ5pYs.jpg

Azholley

17 AG, 21 IS, R pending
Reaction score
in the spirit of everyone loving drive modes - thoughts on this T-shirt?

I colorized the models :)

41pBMHW.jpg

---------- Post added at 09:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 AM ----------

or for you orange accent guys ;)

RoZ5pYs.jpg

Where's the Starbucks mode??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dlbb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wanna say thank you to all who made reviews of the terrain modes. we went out yesterday to a few trails near helendale, ca and cal city. our testing lead to me setting up the raptor the same as i did with my 14 lariat. only difference is sport mode and power, and shocks.

first test was on a nice long dirt road, hard pack with soft spots and small hills. tried baja mode, then stopped and did my set up from reading this and experience. sport mode, 4a. very stable and predictable. "this is like a paved road to this thing" was my buddies opinion.

second test was on some trails following some quads and a dirt bike. again trying baja mode first. really not impressed with the terrain management. so sport mode, traction button held for 5 sec, 4h. top 4 gears locked out. really fun again.

after an hr we rode up to cal city. took a right off pavement and switched to sport mode. 4h, traction held for 5 sec, top 4 locked out. rode the trails and dirt roads for almost 2 hrs. 30 min switch drivers. we were both doing 20-50mph having a blast. when we realized we it was almost 4pm we hit the "go home" button on the nav.

at no point did i feel the need to air down. we both found a rut/wash a lil to fast. shocks are awesome lol. our conclusion is the terrain modes are not needed or to unpredictable. some where along the way my buddy said he would rather have had an armored raptor instead of the humvee he spent a few years in. we had a blast honoring Memorial day weekend, while breaking in the truck.

edit. starting miles was 475, now at 950? truck was gonna perform or break. sitting in the parking lot dirty, still flying a 3x5. but no damage at all.

Last edited: