Off-road payload

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsrick80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll be taking my first four day off-road trip this month. My friends I'm going with all have limited storage SUVS. Of course being the only one with a truck bed, I know I'm gonna end up with the extra fuel, wood, etc.

My concern is with the already limited payload of 1k. With two people in the truck, I'm now down to 500lbs remaining.

How does this affect the suspension both while in the desert, as well as potential for long term damage hitting whoops at 40mph with max payload?

Robtor310

FRF Addict
Reaction score
One factor is the whoops, how youre hitting them and how they are spaced. You dont want to be bucking through em with the shocks at the wrong point in travel. You really have to go by feel. Youll know if youre bottoming out which over time can cause damage. If its an issue you may want to look at a bumpstop kit.

OP
OP
J

jsrick80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I totally understand the concept of not wanting to continually bottom out. I'm more questioning the performance, long term potential damage, and ride with full payload while off-road.

This truck is made for dessert running and obviously the dynamics change as weight in introduced.

I wonder if there would be a benefit of bump stops, deaver leaf springs or airbags. Would anything compensate for the added compression to the rear??

---------- Post added at 09:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 PM ----------

@Robtor310 Have you ran the Mojave trail in your raptor? If so, how was the width coming down from the higher elevation where all of the Joshua trees, and juniper pines are located? I've done it in my jeep, and that seemed tight enough.

Robtor310

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I totally understand the concept of not wanting to continually bottom out. I'm more questioning the performance, long term potential damage, and ride with full payload while off-road.

This truck is made for dessert running and obviously the dynamics change as weight in introduced.

I wonder if there would be a benefit of bump stops, deaver leaf springs or airbags. Would anything compensate for the added compression to the rear??

---------- Post added at 09:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 PM ----------

@Robtor310 Have you ran the Mojave trail in your raptor? If so, how was the width coming down from the higher elevation where all of the Joshua trees, and juniper pines are located? I've done it in my jeep, and that seemed tight enough.

Id say take it out and rip on it. See if bottoming out is an issue then go from there.

Ive been out in the Mojave but no tight trails. I dont think im framillar with that area. Sounds like some redneck pinstriping is in order, lol.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don’t think 4 days of an extra 500lbs in the bed is going to have any long term effects. You’re either going to get too aggressive and break something in those 4 days or you’ll drive home afterwards no worse for wear.

KWT

Reaction score
First of all, those BF Goodrich tires are load indexed 113/110 which means you carry up to 2535 lb per tire x4 gives you a load capacity of 10,140 lb. Truck weight is 5300-5800 supercab/supercrew with fuel. So you can carry up to 4000 lb and it’ll be fine. In other words, carrying 5 passengers and a 1k load is nearly half the 4000 you’re limited to. So don’t worry about it.

Second of all, enjoy your trip and have fun my friend.

WestTXRaptor6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got back from 4 day deer hunt with my Quad (715 lbs dry weight) in bed plus backseat full of coolers, guns, etc.. All this in 2018 Rap Screw. Had zero issues with bottoming out. Just took it easy over rough terrain.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'll be taking my first four day off-road trip this month. My friends I'm going with all have limited storage SUVS. Of course being the only one with a truck bed, I know I'm gonna end up with the extra fuel, wood, etc.

My concern is with the already limited payload of 1k. With two people in the truck, I'm now down to 500lbs remaining.

How does this affect the suspension both while in the desert, as well as potential for long term damage hitting whoops at 40mph with max payload?

Best advice is to start slow and do a scouting lap before going faster. Then add 5mph per run. Lots of bent Raptor frames from guys going too fast over terrain they were not familiar with.

KentSD

www.BookBaja.com Baja yacht Support
Reaction score
My cooler is 100lbs, my two spare 37s, 10 gallons extra fuel, 3 people total and all my other MISC gear is way more then 1000lbs and ill cruise without issue- Whoops will not be fun but just slow down

OP
OP
J

jsrick80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's input. The Mojave trail is appx 300 miles of off road driving through So Cals desert terrain and into Nevada. It's vast trails include salt flats, soft sand whoops, and even a mountain pass. I've done it before in my Jeep as a slow speed expedition, but wanted to run it with my Raptor in record time, haha.

I'm probably going to try and keep my cargo payload to 500lbs, keep the weight as low as possible, and obviously secure all equipment. I purchased some mounting brackets which I will secure with pop rivets.

I'm leaving Dec 1st, and I'll let you guys knew how the truck works out when I get back. In the mean time, if anyone has modified their suspension which allows for additional payload please let me know.

Cheers