GEN 2 OEM Beadlocks vs Stock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwvdds02

Reaction score
Aside from looks, are there any other benefits to the Ford Beadlock rims? I've read a lot about them for off roading, but it seems they require constant torquing and upkeep? I'm trying to decide for my 18...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

jwvdds02

Reaction score
That is only if you get the beadlock rings and switch them to true beadlocks. Another benefit is they are forged.

Sent from my 2017 Raptor using Tapatalk

I'm clearly new to this stuff, so forgive me. If I don't get beadlock rings, then they are just like any other wheel in terms of maintenance? So in my case, it would be for looks.

chi_weezy

Reaction score
^ Yes for looks. I also thought I read that the beadlocks are slightly heavier than the base wheels. Best to go aftermarket imo

dude1782

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm clearly new to this stuff, so forgive me. If I don't get beadlock rings, then they are just like any other wheel in terms of maintenance? So in my case, it would be for looks.

From the factory they are fake beadlocks capable of being converted to regular beadlocks.

Sent from my 2017 Raptor using Tapatalk

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same maintenance with the factory "beauty rings" with the beadlocks.

Other than looks, the OEM wheels have shoulders that stick out. The shoulders would likely get scarred up in river crossings with loose, baby head boulder sized rocks (or larger) and same deal when navigating loose, tight rocky situations.

These are places where most people will never take their Raptors.

The bead locks are stronger, however once again...most folks will never need the strength.

So it depends on where you'll be taking your Raptor and how hard you'll be driving it off road...and of course looks :)

pjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stock non beadlock wheels are fairly cheap to replace, so if you damage them, you can probably find a used set and not have to cry over the fancy wheels.

Ruri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish Ford kept the gunmetal color for the factory base wheel like in the raptors touring the autoshows.

SuperAirDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Standard wheels are cast aluminum, with a machine finish with clear coat. Optional wheels are forged aluminum wheels, black painted finish with bolted on beauty rings that can be converted to optional (and additional cost) beadlock rings for off road use.

The forged wheel will be a stronger wheel and I believe they are a tad heavier, but as mentioned earlier, it depends how hard off road you are going to use your Raptor. The optional beadlock rings will keep the tire basically pinched onto the rim during extreme duty use, and low airing down conditions. The last factor is cosmetic whether you want a bare aluminum look or the black look. I have found the black is easier to maintain than dealing with possible discoloring/hazing of the clear coat over the years. Hope this helps