Now pulling hard left in 4WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theman1990

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I FINALLY got my truck back after 3 months wait for a new frame after chickadee plowed into my front left side. Body wise only needed a new fender and headlight with painting but mechanically needed whole new left suspension, brakes, steering and a complete new frame. The paintjob done by USAA and Brandon Collision is your typical ****** insurance spray and pray full of garbage and fisheyes (i literally do better paint work in my garage with basic devilbiss and home fans.) Mechanically it all appeared to be well repaired until I checked the 4WD tonight. As soon as I hit the gas at like 20mph it yanked left hard enough to rip wheel out of my hand and run me into oncoming traffic. If i'm ready for it, I can keep it straight and it doesn't seem to do it right away from dead stop, only at speed. Does it in 4H/4A/4L and not in 2H. Not a traction issue or road crown issue. It did NOT do it before the crash (other than the mild torque steer I would expect in a 4WD truck). I certainly don't feel safe driving in 4WD as it already nearly caused a head on collision. Thoughts and ideas? Otherwise the truck drives and tracks normally under accell and braking.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
You need someone beyond a body shop looking at this. You didn’t really tell us a lot about the collision. Normally, with what you just said I’d probably look at the transfer case here but I’m wondering if it’s not a sensor induced issue.

Lots of electronics on this thing can go bad.

I had something similar happen, not in 4h, but on a 4x4 truck many, many years ago. Front left caliper had seized or, was about to when I took off from work. I did not get far. I was ok on the curvy, 25mph home street, but once on the highway, it felt a little sluggish and was pulling left, even over the road crown. It was a pronounced pull, so I bagged the idea of being on time for work and took the first left to get back home. I’d travelled maybe half a mile at this point, I slow rolled the truck back home and before I was even in park, smoke was billowing from the left front.

My guess is something is bound or binding in the left front or you’re getting brake application.

when you’re in any of the 4x modes, nail the throttle, does it pull left and continue to pull left like a democratic presidential candidate? Or, does it pull left and release like a republican presidential candidate? In other words, if you stay in the throttle, does the pull subside, or is it continuous?

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Only pulling when under power suggests driveline problem. Either lots of drag on left side or only right side being powered. Have mechanic check left hub for problems and front differential for internal damage.

dewalt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not sure which side. like you say it could be the left. And the hit was on the left. But it sure looks like 1 wheal drive on the front. When you stand on it and it goes sideways it is being pushed or pulled

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
do gen2s have some sort of t-case slipper clutch?

you will for sure feel pulling to torque side when on dry pavement in 4wd and its not recommended you actually drive for any distances at all in 4wd with dry road traction.

unless these trucks have an awd system i wouldnt use 4wd the way you have described.

Blkz06

Reaction score
I've never understood how these painters can look themselves in the mirror after turning out ****** work like that.

I painted custom Harleys for years, and luckily have my own downdraft booth. Every once in awhile I'll have someone bring a nice Mercedes, Ferrari, etc by because the shop that "repaired and painted" it looks like Stevie Wonder was in the booth, and the owner wants someone who will do it the way its supposed to be done. Which honestly, is not that difficult.

Sorry it didn't turn out better for you.