Note to Ford, re: Raptor "market adjustments"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fx4210

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a good idea, especially image wise for corporate. I just wonder if there will be easy ways around it. If the order process is anything like the raptor where there isn't a big commitment then a manager could order a vehicle personally at msrp for the high priority and then cancel the preorder while in transport so the car is produced faster.

Although, I remember once a customer of mine in the French West Indies asked me to get them a Charger and ship it down because there were none on the island. I had no idea about any of the company rules so, they found the car, I called the dealer in Miami said I'd send them a check and started getting a freight rate. Boy did I get a nasty call from dodge threatening to basically blacklist me so I'd never be able to buy a Dodge in my life. So maybe they will be super strict and the rule will work out.

Let's hope it works out and Ford does the same.

shapiroeric

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A mass produced truck is not comparable to 3000 units of Dodge Demons....don't pay the market adjustment and wait for prices to come down....very simple

If Ford does nothing will people still buy the Raptor.....easy answer

WarSurfer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The market will normalize by mid-18. There will be significantly more Raptors produced than Demon's. The vast majority of folks that buy Raptors are not enthusiasts. They are folks with money that want to look like folks with money and they trade cars regularly.

Once there are used G2s sitting on lots (because of markup) AND stealerships still have markups on new (18) G2s, the market will adjust.

People will get smart and start ordering (because they'll see that they can order one for the same price as a used one on the lot) vs trying to get the dealership slobs to make a deal. Once that happens, the dealerships won't have a choice but to drop to MSRP or even make deals depending on demand.

edit: I live in a very small, isolated community. On my street, two guys own Gen1s. One is a doctor, the other is a contractor. Neither have any intention of modding them or even participating on this forum.

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
This is a great idea and one we should push Ford to adopt for Ford Performance vehicles. It is a free market, but the market isn’t going to change if we blindly buy vehicles over market price and do nothing about it. Being a good consumer takes some doing.

I think the fact that the Rap has no real / direct competing vehicle in the market place gives the enthusiast only one manufacturer to deal with. That, I think is the biggest contributor to the artificially inflated market for Raptors.

shapiroeric

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The market will normalize by mid-18. There will be significantly more Raptors produced than Demon's. The vast majority of folks that buy Raptors are not enthusiasts. They are folks with money that want to look like folks with money and they trade cars regularly.

Once there are used G2s sitting on lots (because of markup) AND stealerships still have markups on new (18) G2s, the market will adjust.

People will get smart and start ordering (because they'll see that they can order one for the same price as a used one on the lot) vs trying to get the dealership slobs to make a deal. Once that happens, the dealerships won't have a choice but to drop to MSRP or even make deals depending on demand.

edit: I live in a very small, isolated community. On my street, two guys own Gen1s. One is a doctor, the other is a contractor. Neither have any intention of modding them or even participating on this forum.

If Ford relied on enthusiasts buying Raptors they wouldn't sell any.....still trying to figure out why a doctor, contractor, or someone that doesn't get on this forum means anything

And there will be many many many more people that want a Demon than there will be orders.....dealerships have a ton other ways to generate revenue without adding to the MSRP.....who's getting a car? The loyal customer that wants a demon or the loyal customer that wants a Demon and will take multiple other cars off the dealer lot.....

And Dodge has no control over the use market either....all this nonsense from Dodge is a bunch of BS.....like everything else in this country, demand will dictate price, as it should....

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
If Ford relied on enthusiasts buying Raptors they wouldn't sell any.....still trying to figure out why a doctor, contractor, or someone that doesn't get on this forum means anything

And there will be many many many more people that want a Demon than there will be orders.....dealerships have a ton other ways to generate revenue without adding to the MSRP.....who's getting a car? The loyal customer that wants a demon or the loyal customer that wants a Demon and will take multiple other cars off the dealer lot.....

And Dodge has no control over the use market either....all this nonsense from Dodge is a bunch of BS.....like everything else in this country, demand will dictate price, as it should....

Dodge has direct input into the “market” based on their proposed new vehicle features which are in high demand and the availability of that model. I believe that’s what you’re speaking of in re: demand - if not, I’m not trying to misquote you here.

That said, Dodge’s directive has zero to do with market availability, but it should have a positive effect on the insane ADM values being charged by batshit crazy dealers. If I read the policy correctly, there has to be a deal on the table, agreed to in writing. The subsequent availability of models would be curtailed for high “adjustments” to price.

Priority of order is directly proportional to the negotiated price
he cars sold at or near MSRP will be priority in production. Those vehicles that are sold with high mark-ups will be a lower priority.
the dealership has sold a Hellcat model within the last 12 months. Another factor will be the number of Chargers and Challengers the dealership sells, with the numbers of Hellcats factoring into that calculus as well.

A few people here had trouble free ordering of their Rap, fewer still had trouble free purchasing. We heard of deals backed out of, bait and switch type “surprise” ADM additions, and generally bad times trying to buy a Rap.

A policy like the one Dodge is implementing won’t do everything to curb bad actors, or outrageous price additions, and it’s not perfect. But, it would potentially reduce the number of dealers going full batshit crazy on their pricing, and potentially reduce the amount of extra cost for the vehicle.

The policy isn’t without consequences, certainly dealer sales managers and sales people will only be taking a month off to cruise the Caribbean instead of 3 months off for the sale of a Raptor. But, nobody is putting a gun to the head of the dealers to seek out allocations.

If Raptor consumers put pressure on Ford to adopt similar policies, the Raptor buying process would be significantly improved.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
...Boy did I get a nasty call from dodge threatening to basically blacklist me so I'd never be able to buy a Dodge in my life. So maybe they will be super strict and the rule will work out.

Some may argue, they would be doing you a favor.