New Raptor Won't Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OneHump

Reaction score
I've got a good one for you. I'm still on my first tank of gas. 2017 SCREW has about 220 miles on it. Last night, I backed into my driveway for whatever reason. This morning, I did a mobile start, went out to the car and it wasn't started. Hmmm.

I pushed the button and it started, then stopped. Did it three more times, same thing. Seemed like a sensor failure or something. Turnover was not an issue. It would just cut off immediately after starting.

I called roadside assistance. The tow truck came and, of course, as expected, the Raptor started. Oh wait, it ran for 10s this time before it shut down. So it's NOT electronic. Fuel?

We rolled it down my 8 degree driveway, started it and it stayed running. I pulled in straight instead of backing it in, and it started and stayed running. Backed it in, died.

Moral of the story? My $80K OFFROAD truck won't start at 1/4 tank of fuel when backed onto an 8 degree slope. Brilliant!

OP
OP
O

OneHump

Reaction score
Is it? I don't know about these things. It's just a normal house driveway that happens to have a bit of a slope. I've had a BMW M3, 135i, Escalade, Tundra and Acrua MDX all parked there without any issues. It seems odd for an offroad truck to have difficulty starting on a slope.

OP
OP
O

OneHump

Reaction score
BTW, I parked my 2017 Tundra there for six months and, when it was on fumes, it would crank over an extra time, slope or not, but it would always start. I'll take this problem with the Raptor over having to drive a Tundra, but it seems like a fuel pump/inlet design issue.

---------- Post added at 01:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

I guess hill decent button keeps it running when going downhill.

Good point. If it won't stay running when on an 8 degree downward slope, how is it going to stay running while driving downhill, even on city roads (San Francisco?)

Raven13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
BTW, I parked my 2017 Tundra there for six months and, when it was on fumes, it would crank over an extra time, slope or not, but it would always start. I'll take this problem with the Raptor over having to drive a Tundra, but it seems like a fuel pump/inlet design issue.

---------- Post added at 01:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

Good point. If it won't stay running when on an 8 degree downward slope, how is it going to stay running while driving downhill, even on city roads (San Francisco?)
Even a carburetor would still run on that incline, that just doesn't seem right. Would be interesting to hear what Ford says about it

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not uncommon on the late model Ford trucks. I'm guessing your other vehicles did not have long and narrow shaped 36 gallon tanks that ran parallel to the length of the vehicle? It's a lot easier to keep fuel around the pump on a smaller, shorter and wider tank. You could always let it roll down the slope onto a flatter area and start it up.

Edit: I'm guessing you mean 8%? 8 degrees is really steep. 8% is normal max driveway slope.

Last edited:

BigRedRuf

Reaction score
I don't think it has anything to do with the incline/decline.

I actually had the same issue with mine withing 24 hours of owning it. It only happen once though. Mine too failed to start after a failed remote start attempt. The first 24 hours of owning the car I could never get a remote start to work.. it would always blink back at me failed. However since then I've had no issues and it remote starts and starts normally every time.

After that failed remote start I went out to the car 5 mins later and sat in there for 10 mins trying to start my car.. It wouldn't even attempt to turn over. To me it seemed to be a clear software problem and I feel it was tied in with remote start failure. After a few lock and unlocks with the remote and re-entering my vehicle it started up just fine. I dunno if it was a coincidence it started after messing with the remote or not. Might be some kind of security thing thats a bit buggy?