Need to shorten my antenna.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MGD

Banned
Reaction score
Take pliers and pull the ball off the end. You may need heat to remove. Cut off 4”, and file the end to a point. Use superglue and glue the ball back on. You can touch up with gloss black paint.

Seven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take pliers and pull the ball off the end. You may need heat to remove. Cut off 4”, and file the end to a point. Use superglue and glue the ball back on. You can touch up with gloss black paint.

This is what I plan on doing, keeping it about 2" higher then the roof the the truck. If the antenna hits something, back out.

Does superglue work or does one need JBWeld?

Last edited:

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is what I plan on doing, keeping it about 2" higher then the roof the the truck. If the antenna hits something, back out.

im telling you that if the antenna is long enough to come back and hit the windshield, its a problem.. my buddy had several chips on the pillar and a cracked windshield before he finally got a stubby. no bueno..

sp2pilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a stubby off of Amazon as well. I still get FM reception. I'm sure the range has deteriorated some, but I rarely listen to the radio.

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never had good luck with the stubby on my gen1, so opted for the side-cutter route... I cut mine ~3-4" higher than the roofline, so doesn't contact when in my commonly visited garages, but will warn me when we are getting close. I keep body roll to a minimum then ;)

No change in reception with the minor chop.