Need help deciding between AG 17 vs Black 18

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slash

Reaction score
Hey all!

Potential Raptor owner here that needs some help. Im going to pull the trigger on a Raptor this week, and I've narrowed it down to two USED raptors. A 2017 AG vs 2018 Shadow Black.

Both vehicles have the exact same options except the AG has Raptor tech package which is cool. Black one doesn’t have it.

Both have under 5k miles.

Pricing wise they are priced exactly the same as well.

So my dilemma is that I really really REALLY like Avalanche Grey, but the black one is newer.

Is the rule of thumb in this case to always choose the newer vehicle?

Last edited:

mcasseba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aval Gray all day, since it no longer avail. I bet the AG will be worth more later than the black even though a year newer.

FordraptorHero

Reaction score
Get what u want, don't change that simply because one says 2018 over 2017 the trucks are essentially the same but one has more features at the same price

OP
OP
S

Slash

Reaction score
avalanche gets my vote as well, better optioned truck for the same amount seems like a no brainer.

Yeah there’s just this stigma with “newer is better”that’s hard to shake. Asking some friends they said they’d obviously choose the newer one cuz it’s “better” And “not as old” LOL

Last edited:

FordraptorHero

Reaction score
If u care about what ur friends think more than ur own choice then by all means get what u don't want

Just tell me it's an 18 if they care so much lol they won't know the difference

joegie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah there’s just this stigma with “newer is better”that’s hard to shake. Asking some friends they said they’d obviously choose the newer one cuz it’s “better” And “not as old” LOL

so out of curiosity how much are the trucks?

old could mean many things, to me when it comes to cars it’s more mileage vs years. you lose one year of warranty but you can always add the extended warranty. i plan to add that eventually.

bonehead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Longer remaining factory warranty on the '18 would be the only plus for the newer truck. Otherwise, I'd get the AG.

Higgs Boson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
color doesn't matter, these trucks retain value like crazy. get the 18 it will be worth more, buy logically, not emotionally. color is an emotional decision at the end of the day.