GEN 2 Mysterious rattle solved by even more mysterious part

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CHF

Reaction score
I have had my Raptor for almost 6 months now and am still in as much love as when I blacked out from impulse and wound up with the keys in my pocket. While the truck has its fare share of little rattles and whines, mainly due to the Atturro m/t's I typically commute on, the past few weeks a much larger problem had arisen.

Windows down rolling to a stop I began to hear a noise I can only explain as the vibration of sheet metal after being hit or blown and waffled by the wind. After some inspection and research I thought I might have a faulty IWE check valve which turned out to be false because my front axles were spinning freely.

Finally after the frustration of seeing multiple people stare at my 70K+ vehicle ching and rattle to a stop at every public place I frequent, I started banging on my skid plates.

I found the noise and after lying on my back in the Houston, Texas heat cussing up a storm, tightening every d*mn bolt holding the thing on. Still when I hit it with my hand it would carry a tune. Eventually I looked into the area just above the main skid plate and found a part that I have no clue how it got there and what it goes to. Black rectangular tubing with two pressed in and welded sleeves just randomly appears and causes the most annoying (d*mnit I'm gonna have to take it to a dealer) noise I've ever heard.

Ive attached a photo of the piece, if you have any idea what it goes to or if its instrumental in Raptor function. Let me know

It has a Ford part number E816F
It has BOTTOM written on it
It also has HL3V-8K113-AC written on it

Attachments

• IMG_4349.jpg
    IMG_4349.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_2022.jpg
    IMG_2022.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 169

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I have had my Raptor for almost 6 months now and am still in as much love as when I blacked out from impulse and wound up with the keys in my pocket. While the truck has its fare share of little rattles and whines, mainly due to the Atturro m/t's I typically commute on, the past few weeks a much larger problem had arisen.

Windows down rolling to a stop I began to hear a noise I can only explain as the vibration of sheet metal after being hit or blown and waffled by the wind. After some inspection and research I thought I might have a faulty IWE check valve which turned out to be false because my front axles were spinning freely.

Finally after the frustration of seeing multiple people stare at my 70K+ vehicle ching and rattle to a stop at every public place I frequent, I started banging on my skid plates.

I found the noise and after lying on my back in the Houston, Texas heat cussing up a storm, tightening every d*mn bolt holding the thing on. Still when I hit it with my hand it would carry a tune. Eventually I looked into the area just above the main skid plate and found a part that I have no clue how it got there and what it goes to. Black rectangular tubing with two pressed in and welded sleeves just randomly appears and causes the most annoying (d*mnit I'm gonna have to take it to a dealer) noise I've ever heard.

Ive attached a photo of the piece, if you have any idea what it goes to or if its instrumental in Raptor function. Let me know

that right there is the spacer that goes between the front most skid rear edge and the crossmember.

So you're saying that the bolts were not going through that? ( they should. )

HotLap

Full Access Member
Reaction score

hard to tell, but looks like a brace of some sort. Great job on tracking it down, no doubt others have this going on as well.

OP
OP
C

CHF

Reaction score
that right there is the spacer that goes between the front most skid rear edge and the crossmember.

So you're saying that the bolts were not going through that? ( they should. )

They were not, but that's an easy fix! Appreciate you reading my novel, Thanks!

dhmcfadin

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I can’t find either of those part numbers in Tasca.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That piece goes between the front skid and the second skid as a spacer, like zombie said. the bolts should go through it.

ChevyChad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That piece goes between the front skid and the second skid as a spacer, like zombie said. the bolts should go through it.

Yup. Check out ADD's website, I'm sure you can look at any of their bumper installation instructions and it will show you where that part goes. But as said above, its a spacer on the back of the front skid plate.

That damn thing hit me in the head first time I took my skid plate off of my 2017 :crazy:

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Yup. Check out ADD's website, I'm sure you can look at any of their bumper installation instructions and it will show you where that part goes. But as said above, its a spacer on the back of the front skid plate.

That damn thing hit me in the head first time I took my skid plate off of my 2017 :crazy:

I'm happy to donate the one that I took off of my truck so you can hit others in
the head with it to share your pain. :biggrin:

( Disclaimer: I accept no legal responsibility for your actions or for how you plan to use it.)

ChevyChad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm happy to donate the one that I took off of my truck so you can hit others in
the head with it to share your pain. :biggrin:

( Disclaimer: I accept no legal responsibility for your actions or for how you plan to use it.)

LOL! Better that I not have one of those readily available. I'd probably go to jail with all the idiots around here!