My little review of My new Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sungod661

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys as to not bore anyone with my story of receiving my Raptor i decided to make a new thread and give you guys my very unprofessional opinion on the 2017 Raptor from a owners prospective.

So first a little background i am coming from a pontiac Vibe which i bought because i traded in my bmw x5 thinking i would get my Raptor within a month of ordering back in august. Also to note my wife has a 2012 f150 Harley Davidson so i am not new to FORD TRUCKS.

So after doing inspection of my new Raptor , i headed home which is about 110 km from the deal that's 60 miles for my brothers down south. i will break down my review in 5 parts engine, transmission,suspension, aesthetics and everything else.

So let's start with the engine which as many Gen 1 owners have pointed out nothing beats displacement. Well we have to see about the long term of running turbos on the 3.5 but i can honestly say this is one very performing engine , the feel and response is nothing i have seen in a truck of this size. In all honesty it outdoes my former bmw x5. Wether you press on the gas or cruise the vehicles engine hums along in a very responsive way. I was in al honesty super impressed with the engine , i can 100% agree the sound is nothing like the v8 6.2 but honestly i hardly notice while i am flying in the new raptor. Engine get a 9/10 for me

Tranny: Boy this one worries me, in some modes like sport it so jerky that the raptor is almost not drivable , you can feel the tranny looking for the right gear it get's worse in sports mode if you dare rev those rpms and turbos engage. In normal mode the tranny is responsive and does what it has to do , it in all honesty super fun to drive in manual mode however again it totally depends which mode you are in. We can all agree a tranny on a new car can only improve with a little mileage but for now the jury is out on the 10 speed. call me cautiously optimistic 8/10

suspension : i had the pleasure of taking the Raptor today on a short crawl through a wooded area near my house, all i can say is wow the truck has the best suspension of any vehicle i have ever been in. It is thrilling on off road and absolutely amazing to drive on the highway. it can do both with such ease that it is almost amazing to think how the engineers pulled it off. The suspension is bar none the best of any stock truck ever 10/10

Aesthetics: Wether discussing the exterior or interior theres is little to gripe about however i passed on the orange interior and the lack of choices is a little perplexing for a vehicle thats costs so much. The interior is very similar to my wife 2012 harley (which btw is a pretty cool car too) but the exterior is so aggressive and so bad ass i can only smile overtime i see it in my driveway. 9/10

Everything else: Ok lets get one thing straight here the auto start/off is quite annoying , i had it on my bmwx5 and unlike the Raptor you could shut it off and it would not turn back on. Although it i much better on the ford then the x5 it is very annoying not my cup of tea. This needs to be addressed by Ford it makes no sense that i can turn off a feature in my own car. Sync 3 is ok but coming from idrive i can tell you that ford is way behind there. The ford pass is crazy cool and i am amazed how ford has not tried to advertise this on all their models it is really a neat feature. Also i can tell you the back seats are very roomy the wife was very happy :big grin: when we "tried them out". 8/10

this is my little review i am not a ford fan boy nor do i think the Raptor is the greatest production vehicle ever made. However i have to say that the raptor is actually a steal for all you get there is pretty much nothing like it on the market. I think it is a big step up on the gen 1 sorry guys :( despite the crappy exhaust note.

IMG_4342.JPG

IMG_4343.JPG

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep Driving it in Sport Mode

The Truck/Trans is learning your driving style. I too was concerned with the hard shifts. 2700 miles later and I can tell that it is WAY smoother. Buy a Pedal Commander, worth every single penny. And congrats!!!

JetDriver480

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As mentioned your transmission will get better... I thought maybe I had an issue with mine at first but it's already getting better at just 1,000 miles. I still don't use sport mode really.

Robtor310

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Question, does putting a pedal commander on immediatley have any effect (positive, negative or neutral) on the transmissions ability to learn?

JetDriver480

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I didn't notice anything with the transmission (good or bad). I put my Pedal Commander on with about 200 miles and the tranny gets better each day.

I highly recommend the Pedal Commander; I drive in Normal Mode on the Raptor and Sport +1 on the Pedal Commander most of the time. Feels like an instant 100HP upgrade even though it's not.

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ditto

I didn't notice anything with the transmission (good or bad). I put my Pedal Commander on with about 200 miles and the tranny gets better each day.

I highly recommend the Pedal Commander; I drive in Normal Mode on the Raptor and Sport +1 on the Pedal Commander most of the time. Feels like an instant 100HP upgrade even though it's not.

Only difference for me it that I run Sport +2 in both Normal/Sport truck modes. It truly does feel like you've added a tune to the truck. AMAZING

Robtor310

FRF Addict
Reaction score
]

Only difference for me it that I run Sport +2 in both Normal/Sport truck modes. It truly does feel like you've added a tune to the truck. AMAZING

Sold, thanks guys

JetDriver480

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Seems like I get a lot of wheel hop in the rear end if I got anything more than Sport +1... Do you see that when you get on it?

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe a Little

Seems like I get a lot of wheel hop in the rear end if I got anything more than Sport +1... Do you see that when you get on it?

Seems to me that it did it when I first installed the P/C. But the more I drive it in Sport, the more it seems to disappear. I'm funny, some days I want nice, smooth shifts, with that old lincoln float feel so I set the truck to Normal (Sport +2, I never change this) then other days I want to rip so I set the truck to Sport. The touchy rear, I think, gets better and better as the truck learns...Could be my imagination, but I do not think it is??? On another note, I like your pic with the truck and Jet. I was thinking of parking mine next to the Heli and posting it for you. I know you cruise high and fast, I prefer to low and slow while beating the air into submission!!!

JetDriver480

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Post it up... We need a thread with Raptor's posing next to airplanes, helicopters, naked women, etc. I would love to learn to fly helicopters but it's so damn expensive. Someday!