My Ford Bronco is why I'm buying a 2018 Raptor.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DRAGONFLY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1996 Ford Bronco with the 5.8 v8, build quality really crap, fit and finish on interior less than stellar at time of new with more rattles than a box full of diamond backs. Warnings and bad write ups in every auto magazine giving it 2 stars at time of production.
21 years later the Bronco i bought nearly new back in 1998 has gone from 19,000 miles to 341,000 original miles.
Zero transmission issues
Zero engine issues
Stopped taking it to Ford for general maintenance once the 36,000 warranty run out.
Only genneral maintenance performed as needed or when problem occurred like brakes, timing chain, serpentine belt shocks and plugs. Alternator, 3 sets of tires.
Passed every California smog test.
It has surpassed all my fears over the 19 years that I have daily driven it, to which I did have many.
It will go on to be my daily driver for as long as I'm alive.

I couldn't stand the look of the expedition that replaced it and never considered the bronco a true SUV, the later body styles of the ford F150 line did little to appeal to me with every angle rounded off, year after year ford repeated this curvy look. I guess I'm a sucker for straight lines. Then came the Atlas prototype design which was the design shift I had been waiting for, which brought me to the latest Raptor creation.

I now find myself in the most fortunate position to purchase a 2018 Raptor something I never thought I would be able to accomplish, all the wheels are in motion once the order banks open up, my local dealer has me 1st in line.

It all sounds peachy until I found this Raptor forum, those fears I carried with the bronco are now manifesting once again and what's worse is many appear warranted.

With all the issues I keep reading about from 17 Raptor owners I just wonder what I'm getting for my $80,000 out the door Raptor.

Regular 2016 F150 seem to have a slew of problems with bad brakes, Master cylinders being defective, and throttle body sending the truck from 65 to zero while on the freeway, dangerous issues I would hope Ford has put a stop to, before the Raptor ever came to production.

It is because my Bronco has taken care of me that the Raptor would be the only natural choice I would want. GMC and Chevy although nice in there own right would be a last resort.

Ford please get your act together.

ChevyChad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$80k out the door!? Ouch! Where do you live that is charging 14% or more sales tax and/ or marking it up so much ADM? If I were you, I think I'd find another dealer.

shapiroeric

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$80k out the door!? Ouch! Where do you live that is charging 14% or more sales tax and/ or marking it up so much ADM? If I were you, I think I'd find another dealer.

Check all the boxes and the MSRP is over $73K.....add in his CA sales tax and you're at $80K out the door....

Raven13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I daily drive a 91 Bronco and use my gen1 Raptor on weekends, trips and offroad events. There have been issues with the gen2 for sure but I've never seen a breakdown of how many have had problems vs how many haven't. Hopefully the 2018's will have some of these issues sorted out and your Raptor last as long as your Bronco!

Azholley

17 AG, 21 IS, R pending
Reaction score
Glad your raptor dreams are coming true it's an amazing truck. Stop worrying and place that order you won't regret it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Micha

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 56K 801a package truck has been perfectly awesome. Esspecially since I just rolled over 5000 miles last night on my way back from north carolina

jusdach

Reaction score
I'd spend more time worrying about how you'll get out of the state of California.

Have there been a few QA challenges reported on this forum? Sure, but that's a large part of what a forum is. Best truck on the market right now.

Last edited: