My convoluted Raptor story

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonecapone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck was ordered on 8/16 and built on 10/20. It sat in purgatory at ramp 59 until it was released on 12/23 and shipped on 1/04. The truck arrived at the dealer on 1/10 but Sales manager called be because there were issues. Here are the issues with my Raptor upon delivery that I or the sales manager discovered:

1. Transit damage to rear bumper and hitch. A small ding and some missing paint
2. Rust to the rear axle, some small parts of frame, and CV shafts.
3. Leaking diff seal
4. Passenger headlight fascia had a small gap that was larger on that side.
5. Small scratch in fender above passenger side vent
6. Some eggshell in the fenders.
7. Truck came with 93 miles and no mileage letter or sticker. The sales manager and I both checked.

That being said, I originally picked my truck up on 1/19 but the diff and fascia were not complete. I dropped it off this am to have repairs completed picked my truck up this evening and the dealership has resolved most of my issues.

1. Replaced driver side bumper and hitch assembly
2. I am going to sand and paint the rust areas myself. (see why below)
3. Replaced diff seal
4. Removed grill and aligned fascia (apparently the c clip was either not there or not pushed completely in)
5&6 Small scratch and eggshell are going to be addressed by my detailer who is going to apply nano coating.
7. Mileage smileage, sounds like alot of early builds came with mileage

Conclusion. This Raptor ordering process was a nightmare on convoluted with delays and bad information. It would have been nice to have a we bit of transparency. That is completely on Ford, not the dealers as many times we have known more than the dealers from these forums. I feel that it has been worse for me since this was a RAV replacement for my 2015 F150 platinum with I received with a RIDICULOUS amount of rust on the frame, axle, shocks, leafs, bumper etc. So much that I won my case in arbitration and was awarded a new vehicle. As to why I am not upset about the issues when the vehicle arrived? Well, after such a long wait I initially was, however because of the issues I was able to able to make a straight up swap for the Raptor, even steven, no money out of pocket. For that concession I can deal with a couple of more weeks delay and get the truck a ceramic coating. The rust on the Raptor is a pittance compared to my Platinum and will give me a project for the weekend. Big ups to my Dealer who did their best to get the bumper, hitch and seal asap so that I could have my truck back as soon as possible and RAV for processing everything through.
BTW....I LOVE THIS TRUCK!!
Tone

Attachments

• Old and new 3.jpg
    Old and new 3.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 146
  • old and new 2.jpg
    old and new 2.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 142
  • old and new.jpg
    old and new.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 133
  • bumper 2.jpg
    bumper 2.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 123
  • bumper 1.jpg
    bumper 1.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 146
  • axle rust.jpg
    axle rust.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 180

cpetes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you got your truck back, but the 93 miles and some other issues would be pretty annoying for someone like myself. All-in-all you got a Raptor straight up for the Platinum so I'd say you came out on top!

DarinT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's detailed, I need to have you pick up my Raptor! I'd be the dope the dealership has been waiting for!

hamster

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like worse is over. Your "finds" are one reason I will never take delivery in the rain or at night......

Bullishone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't understand how you had axle rust already. Wow.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

hugepops77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rust it just cosmetic correct? It won't hinder the performance - at some point every vehicle will have some sort of rust - especially a Truck. Congrats on the Truck!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Tone,

Thanks for sharing your issues in this and previous posts. I know this doesn’t do much to make it better but based on your posts, I spent some time looking underneath the truck checking her out to be sure I wasn’t seeing any of the same or similar issues. I know for sure I’d have taken the diff for granted at least, but I put some extra attention on my truck looking for leaks and issues.

OP
OP
Tonecapone

Tonecapone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tone,

Thanks for sharing your issues in this and previous posts. I know this doesn’t do much to make it better but based on your posts, I spent some time looking underneath the truck checking her out to be sure I wasn’t seeing any of the same or similar issues. I know for sure I’d have taken the diff for granted at least, but I put some extra attention on my truck looking for leaks and issues.

No problem. Glad I could help. The amount of rust on my raptor is nothing compared to my 2015 Platinum. I have attached a video of some pics of the rust from my 2015 for sh*ts and giggles. When I purchased it I looked it over inside and out but never though I had to look under a brand new truck with only 85 miles on it. The video dose not even do it justice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jykOucK42Bs
Tone