Must have/no brainer gen 2 mods?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drarin

Reaction score
if you had to pick 2 or 3 mods that are absolute no brainers...for any reason....either for the price, for the functionality...or just cool factor...what would they be?

Interior, exterior, lighting, suspension...anything goes.

My no-brainer mod for any truck ive ever owned has always been a console locker/safe. Back then it was console vault brand, but now we have many more options on the market.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
what are you going to do with the truck?

1 Mall Crawl/Starbucks cruise?
2 daily driver / commuter
3 weekend toy maybe use for hunting, fishing, camping, recreational stuff
4 some mild off roading.
5 gonna send it for Ford Raptor Forum and Youtube glory
6 some combination of above.

Pedal commander is a good mod, but get a used one, they’re way over priced new. Sell here if you decide to go to a tune.

Forscan lets you change a bunch of convenience / aesthetic settings. Also fun.

Sub woofer + amp / speakers. Sub, amp, and dynamat can be done for (Guy?) $200? That will greatly improved the depth of the sound from the factory sub if you have one, if you don’t, well you don’t know what you’re missing.

Lights. plenty of choices from Amazon to Baja Designs. Depending on how serious you are or how cool you want to look to your Starbucks swilling, Raptor driving peers, you can tailor your Lumen goal to your budget.

etc.

more info on your goals will help steer the conversation.

ThugHunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Outside your house in the FBI Surveillance Van
what are you going to do with the truck?

1 Mall Crawl/Starbucks cruise?
2 daily driver / commuter
3 weekend toy maybe use for hunting, fishing, camping, recreational stuff
4 some mild off roading.
5 gonna send it for Ford Raptor Forum and Youtube glory
6 some combination of above.

Pedal commander is a good mod, but get a used one, they’re way over priced new. Sell here if you decide to go to a tune.

Forscan lets you change a bunch of convenience / aesthetic settings. Also fun.

Sub woofer + amp / speakers. Sub, amp, and dynamat can be done for (Guy?) $200? That will greatly improved the depth of the sound from the factory sub if you have one, if you don’t, well you don’t know what you’re missing.

Lights. plenty of choices from Amazon to Baja Designs. Depending on how serious you are or how cool you want to look to your Starbucks swilling, Raptor driving peers, you can tailor your Lumen goal to your budget.

etc.

more info on your goals will help steer the conversation.

There is absolutely no way to do a quality sub w/enclosure, amp and dynamat for $200 even if you installed everything yourself and bought used. Keeping sound quality in mind, you'll spend that alone on just the sub. A quality amp to run a single sub will run $300-$500, then you'll need an enclosure, so that's another $150-$200. A shallow mount sub will run another $300+ This is assuming you want better sound than what you can get from Walmart. Before it's all said and done, you're looking at around $1000 to add a sub for self install and another $200 for labor if you have it installed by a car audio shop.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
There is absolutely no way to do a quality sub w/enclosure, amp and dynamat for $200 even if you installed everything yourself and bought used. Keeping sound quality in mind, you'll spend that alone on just the sub. A quality amp to run a single sub will run $300-$500, then you'll need an enclosure, so that's another $150-$200. A shallow mount sub will run another $300+ This is assuming you want better sound than what you can get from Walmart. Before it's all said and done, you're looking at around $1000 to add a sub for self install and another $200 for labor if you have it installed by a car audio shop.

You’re at least right about one thing, it was more than $200

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f266/added-sub-52819/?highlight=added

w/o the single sheet of dynamat I needed for the enclosure I was at ~$225 and did the work myself. This assumes that there’s an existing sub and box from Ford to work with. I really liked the results of adding dynamat to the sub enclosure only so I’d budget about $275 for a reader with an 802a truck or one with the factory sony / b&o.

The results are price point amazing. Is it an audiophile improvement? no, and I didn’t expect as much. It doesn’t take up any more room in the truck, bass and overall sound are significantly improved. Nevertheless, I get crisp, clean sounding bass and it improves the totality of the sound.

Most humans have trouble distinguishing between quality subs of similar size and price range. Many convince themselves the one they want to like sounds best, but if you blindfold test them, a lot of folks end up liking the sound quality of not so expensive subwoofers. This doesn’t make them better units, but audio selection is personal and subjective, so you can easily overspend on something that you or me say is “the $hit”, or blindly buy on some BestBuy sales-bot recommendation.

The major issue for the 802 or Sony/B&O systems is the sound processor which both muddies the mid range and bass, as well as rolls off the bass at higher volumes. To get a clean, pure signal, we need a sound processor and as you point out it’s not cheap, easy or simple.

Subs can be addictive, once you have one, you realize the sound you’ve been missing and want more. If I could have for a reasonable amount more I’d have gone for about another 100w knowing what I know now, but I don’t want to give up room or floor space for a sub.

MGD

Banned
Reaction score
Pedal Commander and a full bumper to bumper warranty for the time and mileage you intend to own the truck. Flood Ford has best rates.

MGD

Banned
Reaction score
MGD, how would you even know?

You don't own one and probably have not even driven one.

For the thousandth time. I have a gen 1.... specifically bought it because of the ecoboost horror stories which ironically are happening in this ecoboost now too. I chose to spend my money wisely, and did not want to waste time with it always in service. The leaking oil pan fiasco, as well as the number of misfire complaints is alarming in itself.