GEN 2 Mpg innacurate reading on cluster vs pump method

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brownkc81

Reaction score
I have about 2,500 miles on my new truck and the cluster is showing anywhere between 17-18 MPG after running a tank of gas through. Every time I have filled up I check the MPG manually at the gas pump and am usually around 15MPG. Is this normal to be about 3 MPG off from actual MPG when checking manually. That is around 20% off. The truck should be broke in by 2,500 miles. Last night the cluster said 18 MPG and I only was getting 15.01MPG. Before the starbucks trolls come out I didn't by the truck for good MPG but this seems odd to me. Maybe the cluster reads the average MPG over the last 30min or so. Does anyone else know? Or have the same issue?

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have about 2,500 miles on my new truck and the cluster is showing anywhere between 17-18 MPG after running a tank of gas through. Every time I have filled up I check the MPG manually at the gas pump and am usually around 15MPG. Is this normal to be about 3 MPG off from actual MPG when checking manually. That is around 20% off. The truck should be broke in by 2,500 miles. Last night the cluster said 18 MPG and I only was getting 15.01MPG. Before the starbucks trolls come out I didn't by the truck for good MPG but this seems odd to me. Maybe the cluster reads the average MPG over the last 30min or so. Does anyone else know? Or have the same issue?

You are surprised the sky is blue?

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope not norml I cant tell you if mine is off cauee I dont check it only use the cluster.

Seven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have many miles yet but on my 2nd or 3rd fill-up, I noticed the same. MPG on the display was about 2mpg higher then using math.

Any way to calibrate the display to be more accurate?

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too many of these silly threads on FRF. We need an elite panel comprising wise men like me (obviously), smurf, hkguns and a few others the three of us will pick. The panel will review all new threads and instantly delete weak threads on the spot. No mercy.

I think this idea has merit.

torrin

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I think this always true. Both my Gen1's were 10% off nearly all the time (As was my wife's Maxima, her Rav4 and my '16 Vette) and I expect the Gen 2 to be the same. It is very hard to exactly capture mileage on the truck computer. I use that for directional changes. If it always says 15 and I know it is 10% overstated, I am getting 13.5, if it goes to 18 or down to 11 is when I get concerned.