GEN 2 Motor Trend Review Raptor vs ZR2 vs Power Wagon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Never heard anyone complain about a bouncy, jittery rear end on a SVT Raptor.

except maybe December 2016, when all the press Raptors were released and the whole lot of them ragged on the old Rap like it was a rusted out chevy. Which is what moto journalists do.

The Gen 1 is still a capable truck. Gen 2 is marginally better in an all around way, with the exception of the transmission and engine. The transmission good, and definitely an improvement.

The Ecoboost however is significantly better. Unless you’re pulling a trailer and only using 600-1200 rpms, then yeah, the old model has more power there.

2 years from now, when the new ecoboost is released, moto writers ( you can’t really call them journalists ) will rag on the gen 2 like a red headed step child and the gen 1 will be relegated to the moto writer junk yard.

They will all still be capable trucks, but magazine writers will do their best to convince you only the new one isn’t $hit.

guernsej

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember that the first thing Foutz did with his was to add weight and swap the springs and shocks.

First thing Foutz did was add a race cage, fuel cell and chase rack - it's not like he was adding weight for the sake of adding weight (though I'm sure it didn't hurt).

Springs were swapped to handle extra weight, but shocks were stock with minor tweaks between races as far as I know.

Also the ZR2 uses offset rear shocks as well so it's not exactly a design liability inherent to the raptor

Spartan1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My first thought after reading this was that it was total bs. It's like comparing a grape with an orange with a watermelon and saying the watermelon is the best and the grape is better than the orange.

Then I got to thinking...which can often lead to me looking dumb but here goes. I was thinking about un sprung weight. That big dodge weighs more and I am sure that the suspension is less complex. If I am off roading on trails with loose gravel and mud do I want more weight? Does it matter if it is above or below the springs and suspension? I was thinking of those wheel weights vs something in the bed. I would think that the answer is above the springs.

Surely the tires matter as well. I have noticed some serious "wheel hop" with my pedal commander dialed up when I decide to floor it from a full stop on the pavement. Would more weight be better or worse for this? I would think more weight equals potentially slower acceleration but less wheel hop.

Lastly, wouldn't their conclusions in this write up be completely subjective. For instance, one racer likes his car loose and one tight?

Spartan1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you ever taken a watermelon offroad? It ain't pretty.

Not yet but I will try anything. I once took a banana on a fishing trip and I caught a bunch of fish and am still alive. No bananas on a boat my ass.