GEN 2 Motor Trend Review Raptor vs ZR2 vs Power Wagon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ManfromSnowyRiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it is. Its based upon the terrain. Raptor lives for hammering the desert. Power Wagon cannot hold a candle to that, but is good at a lot of other things. Zr2....I dont know, with those tiny tires hard to believe. Take them all to Nevada and I bet you have different results.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Most likely the additional weight in the Ram is what made it feel more planted on the loose terrain. The Raptor's extra power probably also made rear end more skittish. But just guesses on my part.

BurnOut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting... I have to wonder if the tires are the limiting factor.

Regardless, it finished how it finished.

1phatstang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I accept the Motor Trend results. However, considering WHERE I LIVE (rural Kansas) and WHERE I DRIVE (combo of pavement, sand roads, pasture, CRP, etc), I'll keep my Rap. Probably not headed to the northeast part of the continent any time soon.

Last edited:

xBryanHoodsx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well considering I live in the northeast I consider these results ridiculous as the power wagon handles like a 2500 series truck the zr2 is small as shit and would be useless to me ...add 300-400lbs of sand in the back end of any truck for the winter .... good to go

ovrlnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No one should be surprised - we've got two threads on the Raptor's messed up rear end already. Offset shocks, a ton of unsprung weight, and a light aluminum bed that has to be too lightly sprung.

Most of it can probably be remedied with Deavers and a few hundred pounds in the bed, but if someone in the after market would come up with a cheap and easy way to reverse the shocks, they'd make a mint.

BurnOut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No one should be surprised - we've got two threads on the Raptor's messed up rear end already. Offset shocks, a ton of unsprung weight, and a light aluminum bed that has to be too lightly sprung.

Most of it can probably be remedied with Deavers and a few hundred pounds in the bed, but if someone in the after market would come up with a cheap and easy way to reverse the shocks, they'd make a mint.

"Cheap" is relative, but: http://www.rpgoffroad.com/product/2015-f150-rear-shock-mounts/

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I thought RPG had a kit for this?