Moon Roof- Yes or No?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThugHunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Outside your house in the FBI Surveillance Van
Definitely slides open on the SCAB. It is a single panel but it's power. $995 is the MSRP.

---------- Post added at 05:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:50 PM ----------

I also was back and forth on this option. Ultimately, ordered with it for my SCAB.

Truck is fully loaded - doesn't hurt with resale. But most importantly, I'm selling my Mustang GT Vert to get the Raptor - figure I could still use a little daylight above my head!

Unless your prospective buyer doesn't want one. Contrary to some people's belief here, some people will absolutely not buy a car with one and some will not buy without one. I'd say it's more 50/50 on whether it hurts or helps resale. I can say that if you opt to get one, you will not get your money back when you go to sell or trade it. A moonroof won't get you $1k more in either scenario. I'd be willing to bet the difference is $100 over one with than one without. Same goes for the Technology Pkg. I wouldn't pay $2k extra for that package now or if I bought one used.

Teledatgeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless your prospective buyer doesn't want one. Contrary to some people's belief here, some people will absolutely not buy a car with one and some will not buy without one. I'd say it's more 50/50 on whether it hurts or helps resale. I can say that if you opt to get one, you will not get your money back when you go to sell or trade it. A moonroof won't get you $1k more in either scenario. I'd be willing to bet the difference is $100 over one with than one without. Same goes for the Technology Pkg. I wouldn't pay $2k extra for that package now or if I bought one used.

Sure - agree with that. Each his own. I didn't (and wouldn't) just do it for resale. I did order the Tech package - I have similar functionality in my '17 Ex Sport and think it's well worth it.

photoneffect

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW I've been scanning VINs of the Raptors and 68% have the moonroof. If you look at just USA it's 78% with it.

I more than likely wouldn't have gotten one if it were a normal one (e.g. - like on a SCAB), but the dual one on the SCREW it's pretty nifty.

Autophanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He mentioned he's getting a SCAB, the scab does not have the double moon roof. It's my understanding it's a single and does not slide open, just tilts. Also should cost a lot less on the SCAB vs. SCREW.

I have moon roofs in all my cars and suv's and I personally love them. Even living in the hot desert climate of AZ.
I AM one of those buyers who will not buy a car unless it has a moon roof so consider that on the resale also.

Get it and enjoy it!

Fantastic point VortexTed. I buy and sell a lot of vehicles, and I have found more people than not prefer having a moonroof. As you say, I run into buyers all the time that absolutely refuse to buy certain vehicles without this option. Most recently, it was with a 2009 CTS-V, no sunroof. Wow, you would think it had a flood title or something--very hard to find a buyer, especially on a high end vehicle, without this option. Yes, there are some out there that want simplicity and less cuts into the structure of the vehicle, but those people are in the minority. Best bet for resale is to have the options that the masses routinely want. It turns out to not just be a function of return at the time of sale, it can come down to even being able to sale.

MJslasherADMIN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any reason not to order a Moon Roof in a SCab?
Did most of you order one in your SCrew/SCab? Kind of on the fence about this option. Thanks for your opinion.

Sorry my response is coming in so late. Maybe it can help future buyers.
I suggest "Not ordering a moon roof or sunroof". I had one in my 2014. I never used it and think they are pointless. But thats my opinion.

One evening I was backing my 2014 into the GayRog to do some painting on the badges. While backing up I needed to make sure there were no clearance issues. I opened the sunroof for the first time ever and stuck my head out as I backed up to make sure I wasnt going to hit the top of the garage. I made it in safely and did my painting. That night before bed I pulled the truck back into the driveway. Its too long to stay in the garage as the door wont close.

That night it rained 3 inches. Severe Texas thunderstorms. I came out for work and opened the door the next morning. Gallons of water poured out, enough water that it soaked both of my shoes and pant legs from the knee down. Both floorboards had standing water, cup holders were full etc. The water killed the Touchscreen. I pulled the seats out and spend hours drying them. I pulled the carpet and used a shop vac to get all water out from underneath. The door sills had 3 inches of standing water. The door sills have wire bundles in them, all covered in standing water.

Took 3 days and about 20 hours of my labor to get everything dry. I filed a claim with Insurance. I had Ford quoted all 4 parts needed to replace the stereo, Touch screen and ordered on my credit card etc. Nationwide wrote me a check to reimburse and for my labor. I swapped out the Sync system. I stayed up until 3am one night working by headlamp to get Sync replaced. Another 12 hours in ordering process and repair time. I traded the truck in the next day, right after install. Yes, I informed the dealership of the water damage. But I wanted the truck gone before the negative carfax hit and destroyed its value.

I know, Im an idiot and I shouldn't have left the sunroof open. Yes, I know, I shouldnt tell others not to order a sunroof, just because I am an idiot. Yes, I know, Sunroofs are fun and you can see the sky when you drive. Google this phrase "Water damage open sunroof", it happens to lots of people.

I hate a f...ing sunroof and dont have a need for it. It merely opens the possibility for additional problems. I have a 2017 Raptor now, no damn sunroof.

Last edited:

GOTSVT?

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my moonroof, glad I ordered it with one.
My 12 and 14 I did the sunroof, but never used it.
The moonroof on the 17 is simply awesome.
My young son loves it too.