Moon Roof- Yes or No?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ten Miler

Reaction score
Any reason not to order a Moon Roof in a SCab?
Did most of you order one in your SCrew/SCab? Kind of on the fence about this option. Thanks for your opinion.

8WOOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My reasons i'm not ordering a moon roof.

1. less weight
2. no chance of a leak in the middle of the roof (either new or 5 years down the road.)
3. It frees up like 3 inches of headroom.
4. I never would use it

Maybe I'm old school, but i think moon roofs are dumb. My gen 1 raptor came with one and I never use it. I've never opened it, i'm afraid it will wear out and start leaking.

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i wont get one... its usually too sunny to have the shade open andf if it isnt too sunny why do i want to see a cloudy sky? Add to that the 1800.00 price here and ....nope

Last edited:

john.rubicon.54

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also think they're ridiculous. Even when I was a kid, I never thought it was nice to look up and see the sky. I would simply look out the window. My kids never want to use the one on my truck or our expedition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adeerchaser

ALWAYS carry, never tell
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My truck has one, but I did not order it. Had I ordered a truck, like you, on the fence. I like the above reasons to not order one but the flip side-
Most really nice and loaded vehicles of all makes and models have one, hence on resale prolly would help.
My main reason I would order it on the Gen 2, that double moon roof is awesome! Got a couple friends who have the Platinum with it, no comparison to the old one.
If you have not personally gone and seen the new double I would encourage you to go see one before you make up your mind. You will get it!

AKSteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is headroom really an issue with the moonroof? I've heard there's still a ton of headroom even with the moonroof.

AKSteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Moonroofs/sunroofs almost always cut down on the headroom a bit because they open by moving down and in. The only vehicle I've been in where this didn't occur is one of the new Porsche 911's where the sunroof opens by moving up and back to the exterior of the car. It looks a little goofy when it's open, but it doesn't reduce headroom at all.

ThugHunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Outside your house in the FBI Surveillance Van
My current vehicle came with one and I've never opened it. The shade stays closed all the time. I wouldn't choose the option for any special ordered vehicle, especially considering the cost. As someone previously stated, it's just another future problem or cost to repair. I've also seen people sustain injuries in roll overs due to shattered glass and debris coming through the opening. One particular roll over I worked had one of those metal polls with reflector on it (found on side of the highway) go through the sunroof, broke off and was found in the rear seat. It didn't strike the driver, but can you imagine the damage if it did?