Moon Roof/No Moon Roof Weight Difference ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DANACO

Reaction score
Does anyone have information as to the added weight of the Moon roof ?

solarwinds

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have information as to the added weight of the Moon roof ?
just doing some math its like 1.2lbs per square foot difference. glass being more if its 3/8" thick up there and 20 gauge aluminum i'm assuming, double panel moonroof is 15.5 square feet so maybe 18.6lbs more for glass

SuperAirDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really depends on if they deleted structural cross members thus negating some of the glass weight, or added more aluminum around the perimeter of the glass to reinforce the roof. Convertible cars are usually heavier than hardtops due to structural beefing up. Plus the weight of the glass motor and mechanisms etc... Lots of factors

JetDriver480

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Defintely not enough weight to be noticeable. I can see an argument for hardcore 4x4 users and not having glass up there for a roll-over, jumps, etc... but I think for most of us that doesn't apply.

I love my moon-roof. Was on the fence but so glad I got it.

Craigy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really depends on if they deleted structural cross members thus negating some of the glass weight, or added more aluminum around the perimeter of the glass to reinforce the roof. Convertible cars are usually heavier than hardtops due to structural beefing up. Plus the weight of the glass motor and mechanisms etc... Lots of factors

+1 all that extra sealant, trim and shade weigh something too. It's more than swapping some aluminum for glass. But still, not going to be noticeable on a 3 ton truck.