Monument Valley? Any Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KentSD

www.BookBaja.com Baja yacht Support
Reaction score
Hola,

So im going to give Baja a break in Jan and was thinking about Monument Valley and Antelope canyon next month. Kinda wanted some Cold weather snow adventure in the truck for a change.

Anyone have some epic routes for Monument Valley? Seems like there is endless trails but not sure if anyone can drive on them since it seems to be Indian land.

Would love some epic view spots and trails to show some friends.

Also any advice on Antelope canyon would be much appreciated as well.

Attachments

• monument-valley-view-of-the-west-and-east-mitten-buttes-at-the-monument-valley-navajo-indian.jpg
    monument-valley-view-of-the-west-and-east-mitten-buttes-at-the-monument-valley-navajo-indian.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

JetDriver480

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Monument Valley has a road you drive through for a small park fee. You can't really go wheeling but you can get some good pictures and can do a little mild off-roading in the back area but you are pretty limited to where you can drive and it's nothing difficult as people take cars and RV's through the park.

Be sure to check out 'Forest Gump Road': https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3259/3223650289_2f07400d3c_b.jpg

Careful where you stay as there is a lot of Indian land up there with no bars anywhere!

Do Lower Antelope Canyon through Ken's Tours. Middle of the day is nice. Be sure to check out Horseshoe Bend while you are in Page. Hit up Big John's Texas BBQ while you are in Page. Lake Powell is also pretty cool if you have time.

MV5.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
KentSD

KentSD

www.BookBaja.com Baja yacht Support
Reaction score
Monument Valley has a road you drive through for a small park fee. You can't really go wheeling but you can get some good pictures and can do a little mild off-roading in the back area but you are pretty limited to where you can drive and it's nothing difficult as people take cars and RV's through the park.

Be sure to check out 'Forest Gump Road': https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3259/3223650289_2f07400d3c_b.jpg

Careful where you stay as there is a lot of Indian land up there with no bars anywhere!

Do Lower Antelope Canyon through Ken's Tours. Middle of the day is nice. Be sure to check out Horseshoe Bend while you are in Page. Hit up Big John's Texas BBQ while you are in Page. Lake Powell is also pretty cool if you have time.

MV5.jpg

So bring my own Booze got it! Any cool off the grid routes you know of? Im thinking camping is going to be out of the question because its going to be mid Jan. Anywhere good spots to crash up?

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
We did MV back in 04/2015 and there was no snow anywhere... like @JetDriver480 said not many trails in that area. Just great scenery.

We ran up the Moki Dugway pass after MV heading to Moab and that was fun but I think it's closed in the winter. You have Valley of the Gods in the area as well but that's mainly dirt roads like you see at MV.

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
For a place to stay, check out the Hampton Inn in Kayenta, AZ. It is probably the closest hotel to Monument Valley.

We stayed The View in Monument Valley. Not that pricey and the view was awesome!

TheView Hotel | Monument Valley

Sunrise from our hotel room...

IMG_0820.jpg

JetDriver480

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would stay at The View at Monument Valley. I stayed in the Hampton Inn in Kayenta (dry county). Nice hotel but not much around... descent little Mexican restaurant around the corner.

Sorry KentSD I didn't do any trail exploring

Uncas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last January everything in southern Utah was pretty much snowed in but we went to Escalante/Grand Staircase in February 2016 and it was great. Stayed at Boulder Mountain Lodge next to the Burr Trail south entrance, great day ride up to Capital Reef NP. Also, really liked Hell’s Backbone and Hole in the Wall trail. Bryce NP and Boulder Mountain section of Highway 12 can be closed this time of year but I think Kodachrome Basin SP is open for camping year round.

fuhrius

Reaction score
The View was a decent place with a great view. I didn't see any good trails out there when we where there over the summer...if the Moki is open I highhy recommend getting up to see Natural Bridges National Monument...second largest bridge in the world is there. stunning place.