Moab Raptor vs TRD Vs Wagon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VortexTed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cool video. I have a Gen 2 Raptor on the way and MOAB is on my travel list this spring. I have to admit I'm impressed with the Power Wagon on the rock trails, I was not expecting that. Makes me wonder if I should lift my Raptor a little and add 37's. I was planning to add the RPG 1.5" collars, but now wondering if maybe the 3" would be better. I really don't want 37's to be honest though. Would the 3" lift give me much better clearance in the rock crawling areas?

sea2jet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Moving the exhaust tips to the side should help with the rear clearance.

OP
OP
M

ManfromSnowyRiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be honest for my purposes I believe a Power Wagon is a better vehicle, from the standpoint of more diverse trail capability, not as wide, storage, better price.....The off-road capability is staggering.

But, there are some problems. First fuel economy(I know, Gen I owners say it does not matter) but for my use as a daily driver for business, 10 Vs 16MPG is a big deal. Next up is reliability, I have been reading the Power Wagon forums for some time and its shocking. Coming from being a Japanese vehicle only buyer my entire life I don't think I could except the maintenance cost. And finally the technology. The Raptor is a rocket ship compared to the Wagon. Not that you need all the electronic stuff, but the Wagon is way out dated. In the end reliability and gas mileage are the killers for the Power Wagon.

Autophanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be honest for my purposes I believe a Power Wagon is a better vehicle, from the standpoint of more diverse trail capability, not as wide, storage, better price.....The off-road capability is staggering.

But, there are some problems. First fuel economy(I know, Gen I owners say it does not matter) but for my use as a daily driver for business, 10 Vs 16MPG is a big deal. Next up is reliability, I have been reading the Power Wagon forums for some time and its shocking. Coming from being a Japanese vehicle only buyer my entire life I don't think I could except the maintenance cost. And finally the technology. The Raptor is a rocket ship compared to the Wagon. Not that you need all the electronic stuff, but the Wagon is way out dated. In the end reliability and gas mileage are the killers for the Power Wagon.

I agree with you--If I were simply buying the best truck for trails in my neck of the woods, it would easily be the Power Wagon. It's a massive truck, but still more manageable in some respects, namely the width {79.1" for Power Wagon}, versus the Raptor. I don't require it, but for the guy that wanted the most "TRUCK", again, it would be the Power Wagon, lending extended heavy duty truck talents. Plus, with the extra locker and disconnecting front stabilizer bar, it's definitely more suitable for steep, rocky, rutty trails. Finally, there's the price differential--to my preferred specifications, on each truck, I would be right at $14,000 difference between my Raptor (sold at MSRP), and a loaded Power Wagon Laramie {sale price would be approximately $54,000}.

In the end, I still plan on getting the Raptor. Unless of course, it's an empty allocation, and all the waiting is for naught. At that juncture, I would happily grab a big, heavy, old school Power Wagon.

Bark beetle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Roman wasted that exhaust! Exactly why I moved them. All three have their own benefits and I have owned two Tacos but not a PowerWagon. A long traveled Taco and a SCAB Raptor are very close to the same size and travel but not power. Haven't seen a supercharger for the new Taco motor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All 3 are pretty capable offroad in their own way. But it's kind of a strange comparison...a mid size vs. a half ton vs. a heavy duty. :shrug:

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
Roman wasted that exhaust! Exactly why I moved them. All three have their own benefits and I have owned two Tacos but not a PowerWagon. A long traveled Taco and a SCAB Raptor are very close to the same size and travel but not power. Haven't seen a supercharger for the new Taco motor.

On my first trip to Moab with my Raptor I dragged my exhaust tip on Baby Lions Back. Purely cosmetic. Got back home and cut the exhaust right after the axle and the following year we went back to Moab and ran Hell's Revenge... no problem this time.

I like the dual exhaust on the Gen2 but not the location. First thing I plan to do is cut the exhaust right after the rear axle.