GEN 2 "Market Value" or Price Over Invoice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
the problem is it affects the brand. over time, it takes its toll. slowly, what you are left with is a few people (like yourself) who are willing to "pay to play", but your kind don't support the brand. chrysler was not too happy about the fiasco with the hellcat and they went after some dealers as well as adjusted their allocation strategy.

I find the current scenario more than a little distasteful. The dealers do have to make money and they’re entitled to a profit on the vehicle, but let’s be honest, even if they sell at invoice they’re making a profit. Anything over invoice is padding their profit. The market reality however, as well as ’soft’ evidence by many posters here ( It’s on the internet, so it HAS to be true ) is that customers are willing to pay over MSRP. So long as that remains true, deals below MSRP are incredibly difficult to come by. I’ve called half a dozen dealers I heard or saw posted her as advertising MSRP, not one of them panned out, they were --all-- over MSRP by a significant amount so even a report of a dealer willing to go MSRP isn’t necessarily true. YMMV.

Yes, it is their money to spend, whether it’s spent wisely, foolishly or somewhere in between is really none of my business. That said, I do have to suffer the market consequences for the foolish end of the spectrum buying Raptors because I want one and it’s probably cost me more as a result. However, it’s a double edged sword. This kind of market demand is good for the resale of the truck as well, so we pay more now, but we should be able to sell for more later and that’s borne out by the gen1 R. resale value. We may not recoup exorbitant ADM money, but so long as all the trucks sell and sell reasonably quick, that bodes well for our eventual resale.

I would like to see Ford reevaluate the performance vehicle buying experience. At least when we had SVT, there was a well understood position that customers who bought SVT vehicles were enthusiasts with a particular set of interests and at leas my impression was that I was treated well as a customer from purchasing, through ownership. I feel like buying the Raptor has been much more frustrating. Perhaps others feel differently.

nitronate33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
think about how many cars/trucks scummy dealers took a chance adding ADM too and turned out to be complete bombs that ended up selling at deep discounts once they ran out of the "gotta have it now" buyers. not saying the GEN2 raptor will be one of them, but you never know.

sher-bant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am paying 5k over.

It is literally an hour and a half away from me right now. My new ride is en-route from a dealer who is delivering it from three states away from me. I should have it within the next two hours.

When it comes down to it...There was no other way to get one within the next couple of months at best. Who even knows??? I've been trying to get one since before Ford was even taking orders. I have TWO different dealers sitting on (100% refundable) deposits, and neither order has been acknowledged by Ford. Why? I cant answer that. But I did locate (basically) my EXACT Raptor, and jumped. HAPPILY. I'm gonna have it a couple of hours from now...I hope.

shapiroeric

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am paying 5k over.

It is literally an hour and a half away from me right now. My new ride is en-route from a dealer who is delivering it from three states away from me. I should have it within the next two hours.

When it comes down to it...There was no other way to get one within the next couple of months at best. Who even knows??? I've been trying to get one since before Ford was even taking orders. I have TWO different dealers sitting on (100% refundable) deposits, and neither order has been acknowledged by Ford. Why? I cant answer that. But I did locate (basically) my EXACT Raptor, and jumped. HAPPILY. I'm gonna have it a couple of hours from now...I hope.

Same exact situation with the order and looking for a truck....congrats!!!!

DarinT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's amazing what the dealers will do, but a great example of Supply and Demand on prices, low supply with high demand equals crazy pricing. I for one won't pay over MSRP, and will continue searching until I find the right one at that price. The potential to be upside down in 4 years when it's time for a 2021 is too high... Will it happen, maybe not, but the potential is high. And I've seen dealers asking $25K over, not even bothering to talk to me if the initial offer isn't over MSRP... Time is money, and in this case, I have more time than money!

Chief1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Up here in NH I see one for sale at Portsmouth Ford, not sure what the price is but wanted to put it out there if someone wants to check on it.

squeak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally i feel people are free to spend their money however they want regardless of its impact on others. I won't pay over msrp because i can't get past the fact that they sell vehicles at invoice and make a profit and a living. At msrp it's $5k over that same profit directly from me. At adm it's $6k+ of profit. And for what am i contributing $6k+ adm for? It takes them 30 minutes to process an order and an hour or two to prep the truck when it comes in. If I'm paying $10k adm then I'm paying them $16k+ for a couple hours of work. I may have oversimplified it but basically that's it. I work too hard to give up so much money for so little effort.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

5star

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So, went to a dealership in Raleigh, NC to trade in my 2016 TRD OR Tacoma for a 2017 Raptor 802A package.

They did fair enough on the apprasail of my Tacoma but wanted to charge me an extra $5,000 "Market Value". I told them that wouldn't work and the salesman brought over a manager who proceeded to tell me that Texas and other market are adding on $15,000 to invoice.

I am sorry, the way I configured the truck is $61k and the number they put on the line was $71k.

Are people really paying above invoice? An hour after leaving the salesman calls me stating they can reduce the $5,000 I would have to put down to order the truck but they still can't remove the Market Value charge...

We ordered ours from Capital Ford in Raleigh. We went with LB and the 802A package. We paid sticker on ours. If you need a contact there vs some of the other dealerships in the area let us know.