GEN 2 "Market Value" or Price Over Invoice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eNomineZerum

Reaction score
So, went to a dealership in Raleigh, NC to trade in my 2016 TRD OR Tacoma for a 2017 Raptor 802A package.

They did fair enough on the apprasail of my Tacoma but wanted to charge me an extra $5,000 "Market Value". I told them that wouldn't work and the salesman brought over a manager who proceeded to tell me that Texas and other market are adding on $15,000 to invoice.

I am sorry, the way I configured the truck is $61k and the number they put on the line was $71k.

Are people really paying above invoice? An hour after leaving the salesman calls me stating they can reduce the $5,000 I would have to put down to order the truck but they still can't remove the Market Value charge...

shapiroeric

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Invoice and MSRP are not the same.....many dealers are adding to the MSRP....anywhere from $5-15K or more depending on location....Invoice to MSRP spread is likely a few grand.....and some people are paying the markup....

HunyaKitti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't buy the truck at over MSRP. If you want one, call around the dealerships and find an allotment for MSRP (or below if you can). Either that or play the waiting game for the dealerships to lower their prices or for the 2018 orders to open up. There is a thread somewhere around here with a list of dealerships and the current prices they're charging over MSRP...but it's probably buried.

All of the Crossroads Fords and Capital Fords in NC are charging over MSRP based on the last time I called them all. I found an allocation at Crescent Ford in High Point, NC that is at MSRP. If you have any luck with them, let me know and maybe we can get ourselves a referral bonus? They have one arriving soon that was unclaimed last I checked, and one that is on order for a customer that is on the fence about Raptors, but had money to throw at it anyways.

Vince

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not pay a cent over MSRP. The most ridiculous mark up I have seen was 40k over MSRP. All this said you are probably late in the game to score an MSRP deal but with hard work and some research/ willingness to travel you might get a deal. Otherwise, just take the 5k mark up I guess?

TRIMMELL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not pay a cent over MSRP. The most ridiculous mark up I have seen was 40k over MSRP. All this said you are probably late in the game to score an MSRP deal but with hard work and some research/ willingness to travel you might get a deal. Otherwise, just take the 5k mark up I guess?

I am with you 100%. The ONLY reason these dealers are pulling this shit is because there are people that are willing to pay over MSRP for them to have them right now and be the first. I feel bad for the guys that didn't get the best deal in the first place and they are still waiting on their trucks 6+ months later after ordering because theirs are still held up. THAT would suck.

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Market Value" or Price Over Invoice

Somebody will pay it. Right now they are selling in two days and for $5k over msrp. I won't pay it and you won't but maybe the next guy will.

I am in no hurry so I'll wait for the right opportunity or order an 18 when they become available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Are people really paying above invoice? An hour after leaving the salesman calls me stating they can reduce the $5,000 I would have to put down to order the truck but they still can't remove the Market Value charge...

Sadly... yes, they are. The question is if you want the truck now, or close to now. If that answer is yes, you need to ask yourself how much because from everything I can see, MSRP deals are gone. There are a few that were reported (here, actually) and every one of them I called had mysteriously changed to nnnn over MSRP. I called half a dozen out of state dealers, some of them quite a ways away, and the best I was able to do was +1k (2 of those, driving distance to me) and +$2500.

I stayed local, and ended up much better off for it. A not quite local to me dealer had a truck much closer to MSRP. I’ll not jinx things until it’s in my grubby little hands. Unfortunately, it has way more options than I wanted, but at least I’m spending money on tangible options on the vehicle, not simply padding the stealership’s profits.

Let’s be clear, the dealer / sales manager absolutely can negotiate the deal down closer to MSRP, they are simply choosing to play a bit of hardball since they’re confident the trucks will sell at over MSRP. I don’t know how many of the early order trucks were at or over MSRP, but everything I’m seeing available local to me (NoVA) is 5k over and up. Even the ones who proclaim to be ‘best deal’ negotiators aren’t budging. Also, I tried a buying service too through my bank. That was equally worthless. I got a price, got to the dealer and they said, sure, we’ll make that price ... Plus all Raptors have a $10k mark up, non-negotiable. I walked out.

Will there be an MSRP deal pop up between now and the last ’17 truck delivered? Who knows? Will there be people willing to pay $10k over for the truck? Apparently so. I would have loved to bought more local but the locals didn’t want any part of a deal at less than 10k over and I just think that’s disrespectful. So, I took my business elsewhere.

So, you can hold on for next year, scrounge some couch change together and try to play the order game, or try to land an inbound ’17 that isn’t spoken for. These are out there, but you need to use the Ford search facility and the phone.

Obviously, if you show up ready to buy and can commit on the spot, you’re in as solid a negotiating position as you can be. On the phone, I got the impression that I could have invested some time and gotten --closer-- to MSRP than 5k over, but I honestly don’t think I’d have been able to get any local dealer down to MSRP.

Only you can decide if the price is right for you, but I would urge you to not pay any exorbitant over MSRP markup, or “ADM”. The people charging 5k and up are not treating customers with respect. $10k over is just profiteering at your expense.

Justtoph

Reaction score
I had a black SCREW in Middle MO that offered me MSRP.. Talk to Brad.. I can't remember the dealer, please look it up.. Just south of Columbia

OP
OP
E

eNomineZerum

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. I think I will hold off and let the new wear off my 1 year old Tacoma. I probably wouldn't have bought it had Raptors been out at the time... I think I will just go ahead and mess around with my current truck.

Regarding the people paying over I come from video game land where realeasing half a game for full price and charging for the rest after fact is a common occurance. People still fall for these gimmicks and because of that the people that profit will continue to do so.

I did so wish to be a card carrying member of the Raptor club but I guess it isn't for me at this time.

NJSP117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think there are plenty of trucks out there for MSRP, it's just a matter of finding one. There are also a lot of people willing to pay over MSRP to get the latest and greatest truck on the market. Unfortunately there are also dealers/owners that don't care about the customer and just want the extra $5-10,000.00. It's a shame. But the market will adjust itself once the supply goes up....