Made The Transition From Gen 1 To Gen 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChevyChad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I had owned my 2010 raptor since 2012 and just traded it in last Saturday on a 2017 raptor. It is a blue crew cab with 802A package and even has the carbon fiber as well. It also has the technology package and rear heated seats.

I wasn't planning on getting a new raptor so soon. My plan was to sit tight and wait a year or two and pick up a used one down the road. I did however want to look at them and possibly test drive one soon just to see how I'd like it. So after getting a phone call about 2 weeks ago from a dealer about an hour from my house telling me they had one in and asking if I'd like to test drive it, I told them I'd be there ASAP. Dropped previous plans I had and got there about 1.5 hours after the call. When I got there, the sales people are looking at me with blank stares and I was told that they, in fact, did NOT have a new one there, but they could order one for me. WTF! I just wasted my time and gas and dropped previous weekend plans for them to reel me into their dealership with this nonsense! I was so pissed. So fast forward a couple weeks later to this past Friday, I just happened to check another dealer's website that was closer to my house. It did show that they had one raptor in stock. I was a bit hesitant to believe it, but I figured I'd head there after work and see if it was true. I got off early anyway, so what better way to spend the afternoon lol.. Well, I got there and sure enough, its sitting right there on the lot in the middle of all the other F150s trying to blend in. I parked my truck and hopped out and went straight to it and pulled on the handle to see if it was unlocked. Sure enough it was so I climbed on inside and immediately noticed the carbon fiber so I knew it was an 802A which had pretty much all the options I wanted already- including the CF which I knew was on restraint. After checking it all out I looked at the sticker and saw that it also had listed rear heated seats and the technology package. The sticker listed MSRP at 66,8XX. This truck also looked to have the accented color seats, but that wasnt listed as an option on the sticker, so maybe it doesn't have them? But I also did know that the truck has the sunroof and that definitely was not listed on the sticker. So maybe they printed off the sticker wrong? I have no idea what was up with the sticker, but I did know that I wanted to drive it and see what it was like, so I went inside and got a sales guy to help me out. After him seeing that I was in a gen 1 raptor, he did let me drive it. I was fully expecting it to be kind of a dog, at least acceleration-wise compared to my gen 1 with the 6.2L V8, and I was really scared that the transmission was going to be shifting weirdly after reading all the reviews online. But neither of those were true- at least to me. And I was looking for it! During the drive, he mentioned to me that they had 11 allocations- all of which were already spoken for and people had deposits down on, but one person pulled out because he got tired of waiting. Apparently, this truck was ordered 10 months ago and that guy's life changed between then and now, so I was lucky they even had one on the lot. I just happened to stumble across it with lucky timing. So we got back from the drive and the sales guy asked if I liked it. Of course I did. He asked if I would be trading in my current one and I told him that would depend on how much they would give me for it. So we headed into the dealership and we talked numbers. He said they were selling for MSRP- they don't play the mark-up game, so I was happy to hear that- especially knowing that the MSRP listed on the sticker didn’t list the sunroof, and didn’t show the seat color accents either- which is about $2k together in options. Next was the part which I knew was going to hurt- their offer for my gen 1. I was not at all happy with the number they gave me. My gen 1 had an ADD front bumper with winch and light bar, 20" XD wheels with 37" x 13.5" tires, roll away bed cover, spray in bed liner, (all of which didn’t contribute a single dime to their appraisal since that was all aftermarket) and my gen 1 also had a good amount of factory options including nav, heated seats, etc. It had 78k miles and they offered me $25k. We went back and forth for about an hour, but I walked away and told him thanks for letting me test drive it. He said he would continue to see about trying to get me more for my trade. I went home kind of disappointed that I couldn't drive away in that beautiful gen 2. Later Friday evening, the wife got home and I told her that she almost came home to a new raptor sitting in the driveway. I told her about everything and then I asked her if she wanted to go see it Saturday. She was on board, so I got up early Saturday morning and went to take off the light bar and the winch from my gen 1's ADD bumper since that didn’t count for anything in their appraisal, but I knew that if I ended up in a gen 2 then I would want to get an ADD bumper again, so at least I wouldn’t have to buy the light bar and winch again. That equated to about $2k in my favor added in on the deal. Right as I got out of the shower, I got a text from the sales guy saying that he could only give me $500 more on my trade in. He had no idea I was already about to go up there anyway, but I replied to him and told him to put my name on it and I’ll be there soon. Got back up there and went for another test drive with the wife and kiddo which gained their approval. Fast forward about 4 hours (the dealership was busy that morning) and I was driving home in the new rig!

I am blown away by this new truck! I love everything about it. It has so many more options and so much more tech than my 2010 did. I also am very happy about having 4 full size doors now. When I bought my gen 1 I did not want the full size doors because offroad lol. But life was different back then- I did not have any offspring, and we always used the wife’s car for groceries. Anyone who has ever tried to load groceries into a supercab with backwards facing rear doors knows the struggle when there is a vehicle parked on each side of your truck. Also getting a child in/ out of a car seat in the back when parked next to other cars in a parking lot is a struggle to say the least. So I am very glad to have a bigger cab now with normal functioning doors! Also, I am grateful for the cooled seats! My wife’s 2016 RX-350 has the cooled seats, and after experiencing them during summer time in the south, driving my gen 1 raptor with black leather was excruciating lol.. I love the interior and all the buttons and options this thing has. I am still learning everything, but my goodness, technology had grown exponentially in 7 years! Driving experience is awesome as well. There is a road by my house which has 2 sizeable railroad tracks on it which I loved to fly over in my old raptor at about 50-60 mph. It was a roller coaster and felt like I was almost getting airborn and hanging on to the wheel on landing while bouncing around about 5-6 times upon each landing was fun. I tested out this new one on the tracks at 55 mph Saturday and its about as smooth as my wife’s lexus going over a small bump in the road. One subtle rebound bounce on landing and then its smoooooth sailing once again. I am also VERY impressed with the interior finishing. Leather wrapped dash with contrasting grey stitching is every bit as nice as the Lexus is. The buttons and knobs on the dash feel luxurious as well. And that carbon fiber- droooooool! I have read some dislikes of the interior, but I have no clue what they are talking about. Perhaps the 802A package has upgraded interior surfaces as well, and they are referring to the base models? Or maybe my standards are just not as high as other’s? But after reading a couple reviews and complaints, I was definitely impressed by it all.

Next step is to get the windows tinted ASAP, then get a bed liner and bed cover. Those should be done by the end of this week. Eventually I also want to get an ADD front bumper to put my winch and light bar on, and maybe eventually new wheels and 37” tires.

Here is a pic of the moment of transition from old to new, and also a picture of what looks like maybe a drain tube of sort that is just hanging down in the driver side rear wheel well. I am pretty sure that clip should be attached to something- can anyone show me where that needs to go?

Attachments

• NewRaptor1.jpg
    NewRaptor1.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 336
  • PossibleDrain1.jpg
    PossibleDrain1.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 264

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
that hose hanging is most likely supposed to be connected to something in the evap system.. either the cannister or a solonoid underneath.. expect a check engine light or loose gas cap message soon..

OP
OP
ChevyChad

ChevyChad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that hose hanging is most likely supposed to be connected to something in the evap system.. either the cannister or a solonoid underneath.. expect a check engine light or loose gas cap message soon..

Almost 200 miles now and no trouble indicator of the sort yet.. Still on the first tank of gas tho that the dealer put in it. Also lovin the 36 gallon tank!

Bombsquad68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Almost 200 miles now and no trouble indicator of the sort yet.. Still on the first tank of gas tho that the dealer put in it. Also lovin the 36 gallon tank!

Just get under there and have a look!

Congrats on the truck, she's a beauty.

OP
OP
ChevyChad

ChevyChad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just get under there and have a look!

Congrats on the truck, she's a beauty.

Thanks..

I have looked underneath for a hole or a slot for where that clip should go, but it seems that the clip actually should attach to the lip of the inner fender. Its hard to describe, I may have to get a close up picture of it... Or if someone could take a close look on a 17 in that area, I'll bet they could see it. If any other dealers around here had one on the lot, I'd drive to take a look, but no one has any.

---------- Post added at 01:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 PM ----------

You should have bought "big bird" I see there behind your new truck. :ROFLJest:

Oh dear lord LOL.. Yea, this dealer had about 4 of those tonka trucks on their lot. Not my style at all haha