GEN 2 Locking keys in the truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigDeaner

Reaction score
I'd love to be able to lock my keys in the truck and just access it from the keypad, but every time I do this, I'm able to unlock the vehicle by just pushing the button on the handle... I'm sure this is a feature that keeps people from locking themselves out, but is there a way to override this?

Thanks

NDO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You press the bottom two keypad buttons to lock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Clearly that'll lock it, but will it unlock again as soon as you (anyone) touches the door handle?

I had assumed I might need to use a foil bag or RFI shield to throw the key in while doing this.

dewalt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It will lock, but still be drivable if broken into. A key in an rf shield under back seat will put a spare key in the truck.

drjbeyer

Reaction score
I had the exact same question - I don't think it's possible to have the fob in the car and NOT be able to unlock it by touching the handle. I wish there was a way to override it too..

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I suppose you could pull the battery from it and use the backup key slot.

AvoidTheBoyd

Reaction score
I always lock my keys in the truck... just had to walk outside and try what you said. I lock the truck with the 2 bottom buttons on the keypad and the keys are in the small compartment with the sliding cover. The proximity sensors on the outside and inside of the exterior door handle do not function, just as I would expect. My key fob is in the truck and there is no unlocking it without the keypad code. This functions the same as my 2015 Lariat did. I had the key fob in my hand and the proximity sensors worked as they should.

Muredhawk

Reaction score
Correct... The unlock function will not work unless the key is within proximity OUTSIDE of the truck. I lock my key in all the time, however if thieves get inside, they will be able to drive it...

mikedahammer

Reaction score
I have always just kept a piece of aluminum foil in the compartment and roll the key inside of it and that blocks the signal. Thanks for the info on how to do it without the foil.

Now i just have to remember to set up the outside keypad code......