Leveling kit implications

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FatBuoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been toying with a leveling kit, such as RPG. I'd be curious to hear feedback on pros and cons. Here is how I see it thus far, but feel free to correct my assumptions, as I'm no suspension guru. And exactly why I asking people with more experience.

Pros:
-Asthetics if you like the look
-More ground clearance and better approach angle
-Additional clearance for larger tires

Cons:
-Decreased travel? I have seen people say this is not the case, but my understanding is that it's preloading the shocks, as in compressing the front springs, so wouldn't this decrease upward travel?
-Stiffer ride due to preloading
-Higher center of balance impacting cornering

Jayrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been toying with a leveling kit, such as RPG. I'd be curious to hear feedback on pros and cons. Here is how I see it thus far, but feel free to correct my assumptions, as I'm no suspension guru. And exactly why I asking people with more experience.

Pros:

-Asthetics if you like the look

-More ground clearance and better approach angle

-Additional clearance for larger tires

Cons:

-Decreased travel? I have seen people say this is not the case, but my understanding is that it's preloading the shocks, as in compressing the front springs, so wouldn't this decrease upward travel?

-Stiffer ride due to preloading

-Higher center of balance impacting cornering

So I have the RPG's on mine and I can say without a doubt my ride was completely unaffected if not better.

Everything else looks good to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8WOOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm It an engineer, so forgive me if I don't use the correct terms, but when you put a leveling kit on your truck it changes the geometry of the suspension as it's compressed, resulting in the wheel traveling on a different path as it moves up into the wheel well. This CAN (doesn't mean it always will) result in tires rubbing when the suspension compresses, it can cause rubbing when the wheel is fully turned as well. Also it can cause upper and lower control arms to hit the coil when fully compressed or fully extended. The raptor has such huge wheel wells and control arms that this may not occur, but it does change the way the geometry of the suspension travels. I'd think someone like RPG would have does proper testing to ensure the change allows full travel without rubbing or parts hitting.

---------- Post added at 11:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 AM ----------

So I have the RPG's on mine and I can say without a doubt my ride was completely unaffected if not better.

Everything else looks good to me.

If the ride is unaffected how is the ride possibly better? That statement contradicts itself.

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Collars are going to add preload which will in turn add lift at ride height. The suspension behavior will behave similar to a taller/stiffer spring, This could be perceived as a better ride as the stock setup is a little soft, so adding preload can make it fell less spongy. Your suspension travel is not changed. The shock is still the same length. The static position in the travel is higher. You will have more travel from the static location to fully compressed and less droop out from static load, but the overall travel is still the same. You will notice more resistance as you approach full compression and less as you reach full droop. This is why it is the best option for fitting larger tires, since it raises static height and provides more resistance under compression.

While the higher static height would move the center of gravity up, it is minimal and it is counteracted by the stiffer response of the springs preload.

Hope this helps.

Jayrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm It an engineer, so forgive me if I don't use the correct terms, but when you put a leveling kit on your truck it changes the geometry of the suspension as it's compressed, resulting in the wheel traveling on a different path as it moves up into the wheel well. This CAN (doesn't mean it always will) result in tires rubbing when the suspension compresses, it can cause rubbing when the wheel is fully turned as well. Also it can cause upper and lower control arms to hit the coil when fully compressed or fully extended. The raptor has such huge wheel wells and control arms that this may not occur, but it does change the way the geometry of the suspension travels. I'd think someone like RPG would have does proper testing to ensure the change allows full travel without rubbing or parts hitting.

---------- Post added at 11:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 AM ----------

If the ride is unaffected how is the ride possibly better? That statement contradicts itself.

Not really, meaning the ride is the same or slightly better. Both could be the case but without extensive testing I won't know.

Homer Jay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The RPG 1.5" collars took a little of the "spongy" feel out of mine. If anything I feel the ride is better than before.

8WOOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you need to get an alignment after the installation?

OP
OP
FatBuoy

FatBuoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Collars are going to add preload which will in turn add lift at ride height. The suspension behavior will behave similar to a taller/stiffer spring, This could be perceived as a better ride as the stock setup is a little soft, so adding preload can make it fell less spongy. Your suspension travel is not changed. The shock is still the same length. The static position in the travel is higher. You will have more travel from the static location to fully compressed and less droop out from static load, but the overall travel is still the same. You will notice more resistance as you approach full compression and less as you reach full droop. This is why it is the best option for fitting larger tires, since it raises static height and provides more resistance under compression.

While the higher static height would move the center of gravity up, it is minimal and it is counteracted by the stiffer response of the springs preload.

Hope this helps.

Nice. Thank you. Makes perfect sense. It seems, from previous posts on larger tires, that this would permit 37s without rubbing, but the rears would. I'm hearing of rubbing with the stock 35s.

In highjacking my own thread, is there a solution to permit 37s on the stock wheels with no rubbing?

Piranharaptor

Reaction score
This was the first vehicle in a while that I said "leaving it stock, not changing a thing". Was hesitant to mess with suspension. Just couldn't deal with the nose heavy look/ feel. After much research I went with rpg 1.5. Did it myself. Couldn't be happier with everything. It's looks right now. The ride is better in my opinion. It feels flatter when turning compared to an understeer feel. The steering wheel was dead center and it tracked fine. I did have the oil changed at 2k and asked the shop to check alignment. They adjusted it free of charge. Said it was slightly off.
I can't think of anything negative...except I waited too long to do install.
Good luck.