Let's talk tires... Toyo MT vs. RT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CCole77

Reaction score
I know I am probably opening up a can of worms here... but was looking for some input on what tires people are running on aftermarket wheels and their thoughts and experiences. More specifically Toyo MT vs. RT's. I know tires should depend on what the application is, but is also about the look for me. I will be doing some off-roading, but will also hitting up the malls and every Starbucks I pass. I really like the aggressive look of the MT tire but am concerned about road noise and wear. For those of you that are running the MT's or have had a set of RT's to compare to, what say you?

DrippinRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have 35s Toyo MT on my Raptor. There's definitely some road noise, but nothing obnoxious.

My only complaint is how often rocks get stuck in the tread. I live down a gravel road so I'm constantly chunking rocks around.

Umlify

Reaction score
I've had both on my old Cummins in a 35". I went from 6 years with the M/T and then switched to the R/T and I loved the R/T.
The R/T looks GREAT! It's not as aggressive looking, but still has a very distinct look that compliments off-roading vehicles. The R/T is also a lot quieter.
But a comparison between my old R/T's and my new KO's on the Raptor is that the KO's are more quiet.
So going to the R/T will be louder than your current stock tire, and going to the M/T will be even louder.
And with all of that being said, I still believe the Toyo M/T's are quieter than almost every other M/T out there.

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've talked to some people who have run a variety of tires. I was, at one point, looking at Toyo's but was told that the Nitto tires are "better."

I'd take a look at the Nitto tires for sure. Especially their "hybrid" Ridge Grappler which has gotten some good reviews.

nitto-ridge-grappler.jpg

Ridge Grappler Light Truck Tire

waddellw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My buddy had 2 sets of MTs last 60k each on his 150 doing some pretty good offroading. But not like about to break the truck offroading.

Now let's flip it my other buddy has RTs on his ram 2500 mega cab and that thing does some pretty dang good offroading. I figured the size and weight would kill it but the way this guy drives works out well slow and steady.

And now I'm gunna go kinda off topic and discuss the nitto counterparts, both of which I have run or am running.

Nitto trail grapplers (MTs)- I loved em. My favorite tires. Good road manners and great off roading. Now mine lasted 20k miles because I kinda drive really hard. I could drive through deep mud and it would paddle right through it.

Nitto terragrappler G2's (I don't know their counterpart)- I am running these now, they're good on road and on gravel but take them in the mud and they slick over and get really sketchy. Since I'm still running them I can't give you an accurate estimate of their expectancy but if any longer not much

Road noise- the MT was quieter than the G2 for me because the pitch on the MT was power. The G2 has more of a scream then a growl.

I hope this helps you figure things out!

Extra extra- if you wanna run some killers I had a set of Mickey Thompson Baja Claws and they were absolutely insane off road but they got permanently off balance and started to shake my truck really bad and I ended up having to take them off way early.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nitto trail grapplers (MTs)- I loved em. My favorite tires. Good road manners and great off roading. Now mine lasted 20k miles because I kinda drive really hard. I could drive through deep mud and it would paddle right through it.

Nitto terragrappler G2's (I think the RTs)- I am running these now, they're good on road and on gravel but take them in the mud and they slick over and get really sketchy. Since I'm still running them I can't give you an accurate estimate of their expectancy but if any longer not much

Any experience or other users' info on the Nitto Ridge Grapplers?

waddellw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any experience or other users' info on the Nitto Ridge Grapplers?
Well I originally wanted the ridge grapplers and the shop put on some G2's.

It's not the same but I know a few jeeps that run around on them and they tend to do pretty good overall, but so do most of the other jeeps on all the other tires hahah.

Edit on an update the tires my Cummins buddy has look like the ridge grapplers and yeah they do good for the size and weight of the truck.

Last edited:

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've openly been a Toyo MT fanboi for years having tried or done recon on many other MT and AT tires prior on the truck. The Toyo MTs last forever, toughest MT i've found, and decent on road noise. They do weigh a solid 10lbs more than your typical C or D load 8ply like the KO2, Duratrac, etc. Given they are a 10ply E load with 3 ply sidewall, that's where the added weight is.

That all said, with the new 17's weight savings, I wanted to keep that theme going and try something new. Best solution I found was the 35x12.5 Mastercraft, which on paper is also a 10ply E load with 3 ply sidewall like the toyo, but supposedly weighing under 70lbs... Have worked well for me for 8k miles, no issues in harsh terrain out west, but the 10lbs of extra material will be a tradeoff somewhere in terms of durability compared to the toyo. These also lack the bead saver that the toyos offer (beefed up material right at the bead of the tire). The mastercarafts do seem to wear quite a bit faster than the toyo too, and possibly feel more road vibration in the pedal.

If comparing the Toyo MT to a Nitto, its comparable model is the Trail Grappler. A few lbs lighter than the toyo, but no sipes. So id say the Toyo is a superior tire of the two for snow/ice folks atleast. Both made by Toyo tho

OP
OP
C

CCole77

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. My buddies have had the Toyo MT's on a couple of trucks and they are consistently getting over 50k miles a set, and even in the upper 60K's.

I am going to be putting them on 20" Rotiform 6 OR wheels.

I didn't have good luck with the Nitto tires...granted they were not on a truck, but an SUV. They were really loud, but that could have been due to them being a directional tire too.

I was thinking that I would go with the RT's first since they are the closest to the factory BFG's and then go to the MT's for the next set...that way I kinda work up to the road noise and maybe I will not notice the change as much going strait to the MT's. Still a little undecided...those MT's look bad ass.

waddellw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. My buddies have had the Toyo MT's on a couple of trucks and they are consistently getting over 50k miles a set, and even in the upper 60K's.

I am going to be putting them on 20" Rotiform 6 OR wheels.

I didn't have good luck with the Nitto tires...granted they were not on a truck, but an SUV. They were really loud, but that could have been due to them being a directional tire too.

I was thinking that I would go with the RT's first since they are the closest to the factory BFG's and then go to the MT's for the next set...that way I kinda work up to the road noise and maybe I will not notice the change as much going strait to the MT's. Still a little undecided...those MT's look bad ass.
You said you were gunna do some offroading, what does that entail for you? Dirt roads? Mud pits? Sand?

That should be the deciding factor unless you want the more aggressive look for the hell of it