Leer Trilogy x2t Tonneau cover review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kenbrackins

Reaction score
Hello All,

I tried to find information on the new Leer folding Tonneau and didn't have much luck. I ended up buying one for my 2018 Screw about a month ago so I thought this may help someone looking at their options. My Gen 1 Raptor had a Roll-n lock. I didn't like giving up that space in the bed that held the cover when it was rolled up. It would also get leaves and debris in there and it also got difficult to roll up and unroll after a while.

I need a cover to keep my kiteboarding gear safe and out of the sun but I also do a fair amount of hauling so I need to have an open bed quite a bit of the time. That leaves the clam shell style out for me. The salesman was knowledgeable and was confident that the new Leer Trilogy was the best option for me. Here are my experiences so far:

Pros: Looks decent, seems to stay very dry in bed, stays secure when tailgate is locked, you can open from either side, somewhat easy to remove entirely and it required no drilling for installation including no drain holes.

Cons: It seems a little flimsier than other similar styles.
After opening the first panel, it is a bit difficult to open the second and third panel as you need to pinch the mechanism with an underhand motion. I am not particularly tall but at 5 10" wouldn't say I am really short. The height of the truck makes that hard to reach so you need to get into the bed to properly open the 2nd and 3rd panel.
After installation (they did a very nice job and it took about an hour) they informed me that if you have the panels all the way up that you cannot exceed 55 mph. That would have been nice to know before I mad my decision that I would have to granny the oh mighty Raptor when that thing is up.
When you put it all the way up you have to deploy some little stanchions or braces that aren't really easy to put on or take off. They are a bit cheesy as well but not as cheesy as the little plastic clips that are on straps that you also have to buckle when the panels are open. If you don't use the stanchions and try only to buckle the panels up, it falls right over jerking the plastic buckle out of the clip. Totally worthless. I think you are suppose to use those straps when you have one or two panels open to keep them from flying back closed.

It was just under $1000 installed so it wasn't the cheapest option by far. If I was to do it over again, I honestly must say that I would shop around and see what else is available. Nothing against Leer or the dealer that I worked with, but just trying to help someone else make a better decision than I did. There are no DISCLAIMERS as I have nothing to gain or lose if you buy one or not. I would be interested to know if someone has a better product that they can recommend then I will be selling my Leer Trilogy x2T which will be advertised as "the worlds greatest and most andvanced tonneau on the market today!"