Lane departure system not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bonedoc3

Reaction score
So I just picked up my new 18 Raptor. I'm trying out all the tech features and I'm not sure if I expected too much from the lane departure system. I have it set on my display for alert + aid. I have the button pushed near the shifter and I get the road icon with the arrows on each side.

Here is my question. I know it only works above 40 mph, but when I try to use it I find that the truck actually goes over the line before it corrects and I don't get the "buzz" from the steering wheel at all even though the setting is for alert + aid. It will correct the steering but not until it has passed over the line and I hear the thump thump thump of the reflectors as the tires pass over them. The effect is that of a texting or drunk driver as the truck wanders from side to side of the lane. So is this the way it is designed to work?

I did not expect a Tesla self driving experience but I thought it would free my hands up for a few seconds to drink or eat. I don't really see how it has any value at all except to keep me from falling asleep at the wheel.

Last edited:

mmacfn

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I noticed same thing.

Initially it was on alert only and the steering wheel shook a bit but it dod not correct. Then i put it on aid + alert and now it only corrects no buzz of wheel.

I also agree with the idea that its only useful if one was falling asleep and it most certainly is not perfect. I have had it drift when testing across a line without correcting.

Its a nice feature but it is what it is

So I just picked up my new 18 Raptor. I'm trying out all the tech features and I'm not sure if I expected too much from the lane departure system. I have it set on my display for alert + aid. I have the button pushed near the shifter and I get the road icon with the arrows on each side.

Here is my question. I know it only works above 40 mph, but when I try to use it I find that the truck actually goes over the line before it corrects and I don't get the "buzz" from the steering wheel at all even though the setting is for alert + aid. It will correct the steering but not until it has passed over the line and I hear the thump thump thump of the reflectors as the tires pass over them. The effect is that of a texting or drunk driver as the truck wanders from side to side of the lane. So is this the way it is designed to work?

I did not expect a Tesla self driving experience but I thought it would free my hands up for a few seconds to drink or eat. I don't really see how it has any value at all except to keep me from falling asleep at the wheel.

lifeline

Reaction score
It is a poorly executed system that should have remained in development a little longer before being released. I have the lane departure warning only on my 17" super duty and it works most of the time but I find it useless as all it does is vibrate the steering wheel and not correct the lane drift so I keep it off and do what I am supposed to do, pay attention and drive. My wife drives an Acura MDX with a lane keeping system that works flawlessly unless it can't see the lane markings at which point it will flash a warning. These systems, when functioning as designed are nice but I can't help but think that all they do is encourage distracted driving.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I don’t have another vehicle with the feature to compare to, but my perception of the system is much more positive. It isn’t flawless, but if it can sense lanes it does it’s job as advertised. I’ve seen some situations that are not optimal trip it up. Construction zones where one of the lines has been stripped and repainted in a slightly different location, leaving a ‘shadow’ of the previous line, and when you lose a line on the side; for example, when an exit lane opens up on one side or the other and there’s just bare pavement.

now, that said, I’ve noticed the behavior OP describes, and I’ve noticed the system engage much sooner. I would imagine it’s being affected by road condition, etc. but I haven’t been able to isolate or narrow down why the system sometimes engages later. I would say most of the time my truck’s system tends to engage sooner on the roads I frequently travel about 90% of the time.

bjinc

Reaction score

Huh, that's not been my experience with my 2018. I've gone on the highway and let go of the wheel, and it's stopped me from leaving the lane - it's almost like it paints the inside of the lane with the tire. Sometimes it even corrects me when I don't think I'm going over the lane (then I check the mirror and realize I was right on it). Maybe it's a calibration issue or a dirty camera/sensor issue?

Agree it's not all that useful of a feature on its own.

OP
OP
B

Bonedoc3

Reaction score
Yeah that's not my experience my experience is that it will go to one lane line and then correct when I am on or past it and then correct so much that it then heads to the other side of the lane and then hits that lane line and then corrects maybe on or just passed the landline and then goes back again to the left and so on and so forth so it looks like you're weaving in and out of the lane like somebody was texting

---------- Post added at 12:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 12:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 PM ----------

Yeah I understand and like I said in my post I didn't expect a Tesla like experience but just thought that it would correct me before I actually left the lane. I find that most of the time I can hear the tires going over the reflectors before it even correct me and then correct so much that it sends me to the other side of the lane only to try to correct again. And I really don't understand why it wouldn't give an audible alarm in addition to shaking the steering wheel if the purpose is to wake me back up or get my attention

And I was really only asking to make sure that my car was functioning the same as other people in this forum which is the value of the form to get other Raptor owners opinion. I didn't mean to imply that it was a reason to not buy one or own one I love mine and I really didn't buy it with the expectations it would drive itself. I am more unhappy with the adaptive cruise not being stop and go because unfortunately I have to drive to Orlando from Tampa for my daughter's volleyball tournaments and it would be nice if I didn't have to constantly ride the brake and gas pedal and let the truck do that itself. I always pay attention.

CSJr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The lane keep assist is the only disappointment I have with the truck. I just expected more than what it can do.