Lane assist- does mine just suck or do they all?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
FatBuoy

FatBuoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You acknowledge that it's not intended to be hands free but you're complaining that it's not hands free....

What I'm asking, guess you could say complaining, is if this is typical behavior for a lane assist system. Chevy does better. So do Mercedes and other high end vehicles, but I suppose that's expected. The Chevy is what made me realize we aren't on the same playing field.

To your point, you're right, it isn't intended to be hands free. But the more it keeps you in the lane while you drift off, the higher percentage that you won't die.

My inquiry was asking if mine was just not functioning correctly, as compared to the others on the forum. It appears that it is.

Conclusion: Ford developed a sub-par lane assist.

10SpdsOfFury

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a heads up, on my 2015 Platinum I got a crack in the windshield so I had it replaced. The problem is when you get a new windshield you have to take the truck to Ford and pay to have them recalibrate the camera for lane assist. Mine never worked right after that but luckily I got my Raptor now.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What I'm asking, guess you could say complaining, is if this is typical behavior for a lane assist system. Chevy does better. So do Mercedes and other high end vehicles, but I suppose that's expected. The Chevy is what made me realize we aren't on the same playing field.

To your point, you're right, it isn't intended to be hands free. But the more it keeps you in the lane while you drift off, the higher percentage that you won't die.

My inquiry was asking if mine was just not functioning correctly, as compared to the others on the forum. It appears that it is.

Conclusion: Ford developed a sub-par lane assist.

Legal dept. is heavily involved in what it can and can't do.

Tesla's autopilot decapitated a guy who was reading a book or watching videos or some other stupid shit. Car drove under an 18-wheeler it didn't see. The company that sold the sensors to Tesla stopped because they said Tesla was using them in a way they were not intended to be used.

Ford takes a very conserative approach to lane assist and that's probably a good thing given how dumb the average driver is (and half are dumber than average!)

OP
OP
FatBuoy

FatBuoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Legal dept. is heavily involved in what it can and can't do.

Tesla's autopilot decapitated a guy who was reading a book or watching videos or some other stupid shit. Car drove under an 18-wheeler it didn't see. The company that sold the sensors to Tesla stopped because they said Tesla was using them in a way they were not intended to be used.

Ford takes a very conserative approach to lane assist and that's probably a good thing given how dumb the average driver is (and half are dumber than average!)

I guess I can buy that. You make it not as good so people don't rely on it. But do you find that out the hard way? As in you fall asleep at the wheel, and it smacks you on the back of the hand by allowing you to careen off of a cliff?

mr_beaverhousen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can't compare it to a luxury brand. The system in MB is more sophisticated. Compare a MB/BMW to a Ford for adaptive cruise and you'll notice a significant difference. Those systems are more natural and predictive. Same is the case with LKA. The systems are able to center you in the lane rather than just trying to avoid crossing the markers.

I actually like LKA in the Raptor. It's pretty aggressive when it knows you are getting close to leaving the lane, and that's all I really care about.

And if a friend told you that they could leave their hands off the wheel on a MB for miles, he's lying. The system is pretty good, but if you don't have your hands on the wheel for say 10 seconds it'll start beeping at you and eventually deactivate. It's not a Tesla where they are less concerned about legal repercussions.

Last edited:

rdz418

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My current vehicle, while I impatiently wait for my Raptor, is a 2017 Silverado with LKA. From what you described in your original post, mine works about the same. I can not drive miles, without controlling the wheel. I tried to see how far it would go. After a few corrections, it doesn't correct anymore and will cross the line.

byz250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I find disconcerting about the lane assist is how it kicks the steering back quite violently while going around bends.

I use it if I'm on a long straight highway, but the moment I see bends coming up, I deactivate it.

I had the tech package on my old 17 Raptor....This is the reason I wouldn't order it again if I ever got a Gen 2 again. Its so violent I feel it could cause an accident. I had it on one time with the trailer behind it and thing almost got out of hand. This is an option I thought I would miss when I went back to a gen 1...dont miss tech package at all. $600 windshield if it needs replaced, violent correction, constant messages on the dash about keeping hands on the wheel, and they were both on the wheel....and Adaptive cruise is way to consertive in how close you get to a car on the freeway. I

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the tech package on my old 17 Raptor....This is the reason I wouldn't order it again if I ever got a Gen 2 again. Its so violent I feel it could cause an accident. I had it on one time with the trailer behind it and thing almost got out of hand. This is an option I thought I would miss when I went back to a gen 1...dont miss tech package at all. $600 windshield if it needs replaced, violent correction, constant messages on the dash about keeping hands on the wheel, and they were both on the wheel....and Adaptive cruise is way to consertive in how close you get to a car on the freeway. I

Other than the lane keeping and the nav which I never use, I absolutely love everything else about the tech package and will get it again.

OP
OP
FatBuoy

FatBuoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback everyone. It sounds like I have a working system, as it was intended, which was part of the reason for my post. And I guess my friends are BSing me about theirs in the Chevy and MB. Suppose I should ask for a ride!

Love the truck by the way. I came from an 07 Avalanche, which I also loved, but this is a whole new level on many fronts.