IWE issue 13k miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iceman7273

Reaction score
Just a heads up if you experience a rotational sqeak ending with a loud Grinding noise it is most likely your IWE (Independent Wheel Ends) not realeasing properly.

My Raptor was losing Vacuum in the harness. Replaced both IWE, actuator and vacuum harness.

MGD

Banned
Reaction score
Anyone know if Ford is the only manufacturer that relies on vacuum to keep the hubs unlocked? This has been an issue on ford trucks for a few years... seems like keeping vacuum on for 4x4 would be the right way to do it.

MatMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if Ford is the only manufacturer that relies on vacuum to keep the hubs unlocked? This has been an issue on ford trucks for a few years... seems like keeping vacuum on for 4x4 would be the right way to do it.

Would you rather have a mechanical failure and have it default to 4x4 or 2wd (or worse some other more expensive failure downstream in the driveline)? I'll take 4x4 and take my chances of losing the cheap front hub IWE and when an actuator fails with a nice audible clicking noise so you can hear it over your Hank Williams Jr playlist and some obvious grinding that you can feel in the pedals.

I'm sure there was lengthy analysis of this aspect of the system before this system went into GenDeux.

Reminder to always check 4x4 and your diff lock before you head out into the back country.

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Time to change your screen name again MGD, aka Mcnawsty. But to me..,,, you will always be Sasquatch!

did someone say weep hole? Or did someone say psychotic nut-job?