If I did an overland build, do I need to upgrade the suspension?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Suprafly

Reaction score
I would like to build up my future truck as an overland build. With the Raptors soft suspension, would I need to tighten that up a bit for a bed cap, a drawer system in the bed for a stove and potentially Jerry can for water and fuel.

If so, please recommend what I should do.

Thanks for the help.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
You mostly would need a custom set of deaver leaf springs build for the weight you intent to have in the back. The shocks would be plenty for overlanding until you wear them out.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
For overlanding, slow speed stuff, your shocks will be fine. However, you need to upgrade your leafs to handle the added weight. Custom spec'd Deavers would be a great option and a product we offer to our customers. Once you finalize the added weight of all of your additions, we can use that number to spec your springs for the added load you'll be carrying.

Let me know if we can offer our help!

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Suprafly,
I agree with the above posts. I would spec your DEAVER springs for added weight. Assuming your cap, drawers, jerry cans; also an improved jack, extra spare, recovery tools/kinetic ropes, cooler, co driver, tent, sleeping bags, food, even dog/kids....well the weight could well be over 1,000 pounds. The beauty of the DEAVERS is that they ride as soft as the factory, yet carry the extra weight. The rear end feels better planted, and really shines with faster speeds in the rough, (Not your typical overlanding activity).
Good luck!

Eddie

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The beauty of the DEAVERS is that they ride as soft as the factory, yet carry the extra weight. The rear end feels better planted, and really shines with faster speeds in the rough, (Not your typical overlanding activity).

And that is the beauty of having a true progressive leaf pack system!

JustBillin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You did say future truck??? I love my Raptor and it’s the fourth (and best) truck I have ever owned. That said, I would probably look at the Super Duty platform if I personally was going to rig up an Overland truck. Aside from the very modest payload limitations weight-wise of the Raptor, you are still dealing with a 5.5 foot bed for lugging all you might need for extended excursions.

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
Figure out how much weight you intend to haul before you start planning you upgrades. It adds up quickly and you will likely underestimate the final weight. Along with the rear springs you will also need to look at the fronts, higher load range tires, etc.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
You did say future truck??? I love my Raptor and it’s the fourth (and best) truck I have ever owned. That said, I would probably look at the Super Duty platform if I personally was going to rig up an Overland truck. Aside from the very modest payload limitations weight-wise of the Raptor, you are still dealing with a 5.5 foot bed for lugging all you might need for extended excursions.

A super duty? Way too big and heavy for overlanding trails around here.